The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon,

My question to you all is should my daughter (meaning me) copper bolus her goat. He's a year-and-a-half (maybe a few months older than that) Boer goat she raised for fair and the kind buyer gave him back to her. Other than raising the goat for 6 months and prepping for fair we have no idea on the what, wheres and whens of caring for him.

I did notice his neck hair which use to be a dark reddish brown is now fading in color. I didn't notice a fish tail.

What about selenium and vitamin E, is this necessary as well? And if so how often and how much. He weighs, as near as I can tell, around 150 lbs, maybe more. Big fella!

He has become one of our herd and want to do the best by him.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
May I ask what loose minerals you already offer your herd?

In my herd, the loose mineral mix is paramount, and everything else is supposed to support what they don't/won't.

For instance, if I offer no loose mineral mix. or a poorly balanced loose mineral mix, I would definitely be money/time ahead by addressing that issue first. And THEN addressing what a good mineral mix may be missing.

First things first... saves me a lot of money/time/effort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

In my herd, the loose mineral mix is paramount, and everything else is supposed to support what they don't/won't.

For instance, if I offer no loose mineral mix. or a poorly balanced loose mineral mix, I would definitely be money/time ahead by addressing that issue first. And THEN addressing what a good mineral mix may be missing.

The goat isn't in a herd, he's a single goat living it up in my back yard.

He is fed Purina goat feed and Manna goat minerals are supposedly added to the feed (not too sure if it has been added).
We use to feed him Moormans ShowTec feed and supplement but stopped once his show days were over. I did recently purchase some bags of the Moorman's ShowTec supplement which we will be feeding him again soon. I know that it has selenium and vitamin e as part of the ingredients so we may not need to give those two supplements. It's just the discoloring of his coat that has me concerned for copper deficiency.

I am attaching a photo to get you opinion on the coloring.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Some suggestions...

Goats need loose mineral mix that they can eat as much of as they need. So don't mix the minerals with anything, just leave them out for him to eat.

Goats need a herd. Try to find him a buddy.

Goats don't need grain or concentrates if they are not breeding, lactating, or gestating. Not only do they not need it, it can actually cause harm.

Pet Goats need quality hay, quality minerals and salt, and quality water. That's it.

Manna Pro minerals are easy to find and come in a small package, but the quantities aren't optimal. Consider getting better minerals, and/or supplement the minerals you have chosen with a weekly dose of Replamin Gel Plus.

Yes, from what I can see, he has deficiencies.

If you have any questions about what I've said, feel free to ask. Please. I'm glad to clarify.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you copper bolus the rest of the herd? Does he have lighter colored fur around his eyes? Does he have loose minerals available? Do you selenium the rest of your herd?
Good morning SalteyLove,

We only have the one goat. I haven't noticed a change around his eyes, just along his neck. I edited my post and added a photo of his neck. I believe my daughter has been giving him the Manna goat minerals but could be mistaken. I recently bought Moorman's ShowTec supplement which we will be feeding him daily and I know that contains selenium and vitamin E in it. I think my biggest worry is the copper deficiency.

Thanks for responding to my post

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Good morning Mariarose,

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some suggestions...

Goats need loose mineral mix that they can eat as much of as they need. So don't mix the minerals with anything, just leave them out for him to eat.

Goats need a herd. Try to find him a buddy.

Goats don't need grain or concentrates if they are not breeding, lactating, or gestating. Not only do they not need it, it can actually cause harm.

Pet Goats need quality hay, quality minerals and salt, and quality water. That's it.

Manna Pro minerals are easy to find and come in a small package, but the quantities aren't optimal. Consider getting better minerals, and/or supplement the minerals you have chosen with a weekly dose of Replamin Gel Plus.

Yes, from what I can see, he has deficiencies.

If you have any questions about what I've said, feel free to ask. Please. I'm glad to clarify.
I can't thank you enough for your input. I found the Replamin Gel, just one question...How is it given. Do you put in feed or is it something like the copper bolus pills you have to shoot down their throats.

And in your opinion, should we be administering the copper. We live in Southwest Arizona. Not sure if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't thank you enough for your input. I found the Replamin Gel, just one question...How is it given. Do you put in feed or is it something like the copper bolus pills you have to shoot down their throats.

And in your opinion, should we be administering the copper. We live in Southwest Arizona. Not sure if that makes any difference.
...Just purchased some Replamin Gel - thanks again for your suggestions.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Well, as I said, I don't think he needs the feed at all. Hay, free choice minerals and salt, and water.

So I just put the Replamin in the mouth. I get the 300 cc tubes because of the economy of that size, and I also got the applicator gun.

But it also comes in a smaller tube that is it's own dispenser.

You would give 5 cc per day for 5 days and after that, 1 day per week. The 5 days in a row is called loading, then once per week is the maintaining.

If you give the Replamin, I would skip the copper boluses until you see how the Replamin is working.

If you don't give the Replamin, then you'll need to give the bolus and also buy some selenium gel, because Manna Pro is VERY low in Selenium.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, as I said, I don't think he needs the feed at all. Hay, free choice minerals and salt, and water.

So I just put the Replamin in the mouth. I get the 300 cc tubes because of the economy of that size, and I also got the applicator gun.

But it also comes in a smaller tube that is it's own dispenser.

You would give 5 cc per day for 5 days and after that, 1 day per week. The 5 days in a row is called loading, then once per week is the maintaining.

If you give the Replamin, I would skip the copper boluses until you see how the Replamin is working.

If you don't give the Replamin, then you'll need to give the bolus and also buy some selenium gel, because Manna Pro is VERY low in Selenium.
I can't thank you enough for your helpful suggestions!

I ordered the Replamin and the copper bolus (just in case). The plan will be just as you suggested...Replamin for 5 days at 5 cc and then once a week. Hopefully we will see a difference in his coloring.

Again Thank You!

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
So is he fed hay as well? or all grain and whatever browse he has in the backyard?

Replamin Plus will be great, it is given orally (it's a paste) so you just squirt it on the back of their tongue and they swallow. Give it for 5 days straight initially then once a week after that. And like mentioned above, get a dish and screw it to the wall of his shelter and put those Manna Pro loose mineral out "free choice" - just put out like a quarter cup at a time so he doesn't waste them and replace when empty or it gets moist/clumpy.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thanks for the tail pictures. I think I see a selenium issue just starting.

I'm completely not surprised, as selenium is a problem for almost everyone to give enough of and Manna Pro is very low.

The Replamin should start to fix that, too.

Replamin has no iodine, and Manna Pro has it, but it is very low. An iodized salt lick will help correct that. Kelp meal, given separately from the minerals, will also help with that. Look in the garden section of your Big Box Store for Kelp or Seaweed meal. Make sure it does not contain crabshells or other fertilizing ingredients.

I no longer give Kelp. I rely on many different salt licks per @goathiker's advice.

Reactions: Trollmor
1 - 17 of 17 Posts