The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my little Laurie ended up having buds come up (dad is polled). I'm contemplating disbuding him what's everyone's opinion I personally think it's cruel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's honestly a personal choice based on your style of farming and your needs. We disbud our dairy does because I can't stand the thought of someone's udder being irreparably damaged, but the fiber animals (who live separately) are allowed to keep their horns. If udder safety isn't an issue for you, for example, and you don't have the kinds of fences that someone could get stuck in, then horned animals may be an option for you.

I hate the entire concept of disbudding but it's true that it probably gives the animals a safer chance at life - I personally don't want my girls to ever wind up on the meat wagon just because they have horns if something ever happens to me. But as a compromise I have my vet do it, and he sedates the kids with ketamine so they barely know anything has taken place. (In fact, in a lot of places outside the USA it's illegal for farmers to disbud on their own and the procedure must be done by a pro.) The small monetary outlay is worth it to me to make sure they suffer as little as possible.

(And omg, Laurie is so cute! What a lovely
color!)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's honestly a personal choice based on your style of farming and your needs. We disbud our dairy does because I can't stand the thought of someone's udder being irreparably damaged, but the fiber animals (who live separately) are allowed to keep their horns. If udder safety isn't an issue for you, for example, and you don't have the kinds of fences that someone could get stuck in, then horned animals may be an option for you.

I hate the entire concept of disbudding but it's true that it probably gives the animals a safer chance at life - I personally don't want my girls to ever wind up on the meat wagon just because they have horns if something ever happens to me. But as a compromise I have my vet do it, and he sedates the kids with ketamine so they barely know anything has taken place. (In fact, in a lot of places outside the USA it's illegal for farmers to disbud on their own and the procedure must be done by a pro.) The small monetary outlay is worth it to me to make sure they suffer as little as possible.

(And omg, Laurie is so cute! What a lovely
color!)
Thanks he's sweet... We have his mom who has horns and she's never gotten stuck in out fence but I know a males will be different.

·
Registered
386 Posts
We've had horned, disbudded and polled. I'll always disbud. Anybody that wants to buy dairy goats to show has to have hornless (around here, maybe it's different elsewhere). It's a lot harder to ever sell. When we had a horned doe it took very little headbutting to really bang up our other wether and doe. I've had customers turn down bucklings with scurs because they thought they were dangerous for their kids; I don't think I could even sell a buck with horns. She also got stuck several times in fencing. I worried about my kids getting hurt. She wasn't aggressive at all, but accidents happen. I'd never judge other's choices but it's a clear decision for us!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
To disbud or not to disbud, that is the question!
Whether ’tis nobler for a goat to carry
His crowning glory in outrageous fashion,
Or to take a disbudding iron against a sea of troubles
And by removing, end them…

Sorry, with a title like that I couldn't resist. :p

I leave horns on my boys, but I disbud my girls because it's what ADGA requires for show and I probably couldn't easily sell horned girls. I have a vet friend who knocks them out for the procedure and she's very inexpensive, but I'm aware that most people don't have such good fortune. If you plan to sell him he'd probably be easier to sell without horns. Just be sure that whoever does the job does it well because scurs are worse than horns in my opinion. Good luck, and do whatever you think is best for you and your goat. I love horns but not everyone does. There is no wrong choice. It's what's best for you.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To disbud or not to disbud, that is the question!
Whether ’tis nobler for a goat to carry
His crowning glory in outrageous fashion,
Or to take a disbudding iron against a sea of troubles
And by removing, end them…

Sorry, with a title like that I couldn't resist.

I leave horns on my boys, but I disbud my girls because it's what ADGA requires for show and I probably couldn't easily sell horned girls. I have a vet friend who knocks them out for the procedure and she's very inexpensive, but I'm aware that most people don't have such good fortune. If you plan to sell him he'd probably be easier to sell without horns. Just be sure that whoever does the job does it well because scurs are worse than horns in my opinion. Good luck, and do whatever you think is best for you and your goat. I love horns but not everyone does. There is no wrong choice. It's what's best for you.
That's why I said it like that!!! I love it haha

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
15 seconds of pain vs a lifetime as a brush goat. Hmm, not a hard choice for me.
I tried the horned thing and it was several awful examples rolled into one horrible mistake.
If you're breeding for polled, you're already selecting for no horns. You can't ever completely breed the horns out without getting a bunch of hermaphrodites. You either eat them or foist them off on other people.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Horned bucks can be very dangerous!! They use their horns to get under fences, bang the siding of your garage, and are not as easy to handle. If it were a doe I wouldn’t be as diligent to disbud but males are a different story...

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
I definitely agree about getting someone to do it right if you decide to do it. Scurs are no fun no way. My bucks which I bought from a breeder have scurs that grow towards their heads and it is a total pain to have to trim them. Not to mention sometimes they often knock them off and bleed like crazy. 😳😬

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.