To fence or not to fence that is the question?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Wcd, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    So I am putting the final touches on things and will be moving part of the herd to the second barn. So what I am wondering is should I take some of the left over fencing and fence in a an area around the barn for night time housing?

We have a lot of predators so I am trying to figure out the best approach here. Part of me thinks that thinks that a 75 foot square area around the barn might not be a bad idea? Then I wonder if the dogs would get restless at night being in a smaller area. We have one that pretty much stays with the gang and one that spends a lot of time patrolling.

thoughts please

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Always good to have a fenced area by the barn.

toth boer goats likes this.

3. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    Fence it. There are million times a small fenced area around the barn comes in handy and only one possible reason not to.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I have a night pen because of predators that is enclosed in my day run I have done this for a couple years and love it. The night pen is small and the barn is open so my goats can go in or out at will. They especially like it in the warmer months so they’re not stuck all night in a stuffy barn. I like it also because on treatment or trim days they’re easily caught in the smaller space. So it’s a win win here.

CBPitts and MadHouse like this.
  5. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I take it when you are speaking of the dogs they are livestock guards dogs?
    I would build the fence around your barn. i would build it for herd management, sorting worming tagging vaccinating.
    The guard dogs will do there job no matter where you have your herd. your herd will go to the barn now out of habit so it is not necessary to pen them up at night.

CBPitts likes this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yup..build the fence. You will be glad you did!

CBPitts and GoofyGoat like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Yes seems silly not to especially given that we already have left over materials that will easily cover the area.

doesn’t not hurt that there are trees in each of the corner areas so that I could anchor the tpost to the trees and save a little work.

CBPitts and toth boer goats like this.
  9. Wcd

Wcd Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Middle TN
    Yes they are, since they arrived we have not had any issues, coyotes not so much, I think they now stay away given the last encounter one of them had.

toth boer goats likes this.