To heat, or not to heat...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Nov 17, 2008.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    My stupid goat wont come in heat... well let's put it this way - I havent seen her in heat, at all, this whole autumn :| - and I need her to come in heat so that I can breed her... it's Demi, btw, the big brown horse/goat/demon.

Harmony has come in heat a couple times but I havent seen Demi in at all - sure I'm away 5 days a week but the guy looking after them hasnt told me at all of her being in heat...

Just wondering is there anything you can give them to make them come in heat? Should I ask the vet? or... what...

LW

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, there is a madication to "make" them come into heat...it is called Lutalyse....with educated use it can work very well...not to be "overused" as it can cause a doe to have issues with hormonal balance...it is also used to "dissolve" possible pregnancies in too young or "too ill to carry" does. Your vet can help you with this. Hope all works out for Demi!

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Sometimes does are very secretive about their heats...you just can't tell. She could be coming into heat but not showing any signs of being in heat. I had a doe like that once. You could medicate to make her come into heat or make it more obvious when she is in heat like Liz said. I have also heard of using a "buck rag" to determine is a doe is in heat. Apparently if you wipe down a buck that is in rut with a piece of cloth and keep it in a sealed container you can let your doe smell it everyday and she'll let you know when she is "ripe". LoL...I have not tried this before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It might be worth a try.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are very right wit the use of a "buck rag" FRF...Those boys have ways of making the girls more obvious and lesserweevil...ANY buck will do...not just the one you have chosen for breeding....get a rag, rub it all over his face, between his horns or around his head and be sure to get some of the "wet" from his front legs...put it in a jar/ container with a good sealing lid and open it where your girls can get a whiff daily...it just may be the trick you need to have them show heats. :wink:

The 2 does that were here last December and are coming back tomorrow...I didn't know them and didn't know their pattern but as soon as they were around the buck boy did they show the wanton behaviour!

5. Candy

Candy New Member

Yea, those 2 does that liz had last December were the most beautiful does that I had ever seen :love: They were so sweet and lovable that the owner almost had to 'tear' them away from Liz. I'm sure she cried when they left! :cry: :slapfloor: I KNOW that Chief missed them!
    Candy :sun:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    FunnyRiverFarm...that is so true ..I had a young yearling doe that I was trying for the first time to breed ..... she never showed any signs of being in season...I put her in with a buck , and a few days later.... she was running from him ...and I thought well ...I guess she isn't ready.....but the buck kept chasing and chasing her...... like she was in.....I ignored it ...he...never could catch her or she just kept laying down.......around 21 days later ...she ran from him again....and he chased and chased her...again she wouldn't alow him to mount...I then decided ..well you know it is strange.... because he is chasing her like she is in season ....but she is showing no signs what so ever .... her tail always had a light coloration ...as if she had been in...that was frustrating..and I never seen a discharge or vulva puffiness.....I decided to tie her up and let the buck breed her...he was chasing her for 2 days and then he stopped ....I tied her both days............sure enough 21 days later........... he did not chase her.....
    He must of smelled that she was in....but I think for a first timer.... she was afraid ....and didn't know why he was chasing her.....LOL :ROFL:
    She kidded around 5 months later ...and the next season started flagging and doing it the normal way...She found out why he was chasing her...and said OK ...now I get it... :) .LOL

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    toth, thats too funny!

My Charlotte was a bit like that when I joined her. Just kept running from the buck even though she was in season, because I had sync'ed them with CIDRs then taken them out to the buck. Anyway, the way it worked in my case was she was only 8 months old and the buck was a 4 yr old, so basically once he caught up to her she couldnt exactly move away once he mounted lol
    It will be interesting if she behaves normally next year

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Candy you are histerical! :slapfloor:

And yes they are just lovely girls :greengrin:

9. Candy

Candy New Member

Sorry, Stacey & Liz, I just couldn't help myself!
    Candy :sun:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I absolutely DID miss Katie and Kizzy! I can't wait to see them tomorrow...and Chief will finally get some "action". :ROFL:

Lesserweevil.....as was mentioned...it is possible that once Demi gets a whiff of a buck, she'll "show" her heats, wether it be to the extent of Candy's girls or just a subtle change in her "normal" behavior

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Well she is living in the same pen as Harmony who just went to the buck last week and STINKS of him. . . surely that works the same as a buck rag??

LW

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LW....That should work the same way, hope she comes through for you!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is.... :) thanks keren.....I got a kick out of it...LOL

It could very well be...that is what happened to my doe.....Go figure...I had to teach her...the birds and the bee's ....LOL

14. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    so the vet says he's not going to give me anything to try to get Demi into an obvious heat cycle, he asked had she kidded before I said no she's a first timer, he said he wasnt going to mess around wiv her. So... he said my only option then is to either borrow a buck or send Demi to a buck for a few weeks.

I dont know hooow *looks plaintively towards dolansullivan* Pick up the phone dangit! haaaa

>.<
    LW