To Late to Clip my Goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Chili Goat, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Chili Goat

Chili Goat New Member

May 27, 2009
    I live in Maine and we have had a very wet and chilly (miserable) summer. I have my first pair of Nigerian goat kid wethers and had every intention of clipping them early in the summer but the lousy weather has allowed me to procrastinate on clipping them. I just clipped my aunt's goats for her and the look pretty silly bald! My goats are going to a fair (in an educational display, not being shown) on September 3...is it too late to clip them so that the look ok (not that "just scalped" look) for the fair or should I just leave them be? Their coats lay flat and are in good condition, no lice or dry skin issues. I have body clipped horses a lot so I am confident not to leave clipper marks or uneven clipping...I just don't want them to look scalped! I used my smaller horse clippers (Oster A5-two speed) on my aunt's goats with a 10 blade...was that right? I also have Oster Clipmasters -two speed (they are longer than the goats!) and have 15 and 30 blades. Should I clip or leave em' fuzzy? Thanks for any advice!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    go ahead and clip.

I just body clipped a friends dairy doe, its 60F here,and windy, no problems and it should be 1/2-1" long by sept 3.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would shave. Their fur will grow quite a bit by Sep. 3. I have been trying to shave at least 2 goats daily here for the past couple weeks.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If they do not have a poofy winter coat, then I would leave it. Just about all of our goats shed out their winter coats and are all smooth and sleek now, almost looks like I did clip them! ;) Since they are not being shown, then I don't really see the point. But it is entirely up to you and what you'd like to do.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they will grow in to almost the length they are now (or the look of it) so I wouldnt worry about it if they are just on display

6. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    A lot of times we clip ours with a 5 blade right before shows. We rarely clip with a 10 because someone always gets sunburned.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If the weather is holding i would clip them, you can clip witha five or seven so they arnt too short. I usually clip mine with a seven anyways. If you think they will be cold you can clean them up by shaving inside ears and evening the shaggy hair around their feet. You can take scissors and trim the tail around the edges. give them a bath and a good brushing and they will look nice.
    beth

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    having lived in maine i would not clip this late in the year. the weather up there can get real cold at night. if you really want to clip then i would use a #7 blade. if they are not going to be showen then i would just clean up the shaggy hairs & there ears. what show are they going to?

9. Chili Goat

Chili Goat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Thanks for all the replys! I still haven't COMPLETELY made up my mind but it is really great to know that either way will be ok and not detrimental to their health (way more important than looks). I am away this weekend so when I get home I will take one last good look at them before making my final decision! If I clip I will buy a 5 or 7 blade and use that and clip soon. Friztie, you make a good point about Maine weather starting to cool off - depressing here in Maine right now (still haven't gotten ANY of this years hay...I jump on the phone as soon as it rings...hoping for our hay guy). They will be on display at the Blue Hill Fair...we are there every year but this is the first time with goats!

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    it can get very cold at blue hill. we use to take a tarp & wrap the pens at night so the goats heat would stay in some. i use to clip for the show in bangor & then i didn't clip the rest of the year. i am in Tenn now & the weather is so much warmer.