The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, one of my does had a rather rough FF and my fiance has fallen in love with her buckling that she has. Her rough kidding was due to a narrow birth canal. 1: I have a rule not to keep any bucks out of a FF (though she does have a very nice udder) and 2: How likely is it that his daughters would end up with a narrow birth canal and also have problems?

I ask because I hadn't planned on keeping him as a buck, but wether him and send him to a nice pet home. My fiance on the other hand really really wants to keep him as a buck and retain him in herd.

What are your thoughts? Should I argue and push the matter more that he needs to be a wether or.... let my fiance win this one? lol

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
If she has a narrow birth canal, that's not something I would want to pass on if it is going to make for more tough kiddings ... what does the rest of her look like? Her udder? If you don't want a whole herd of does that look like her, I wouldn't keep him intact. If he wanted, your fiance could keep the little guy as a companion wether -- teach him to be a pack goat. My sister and I take our special goats on walks to the park.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's actually a beautiful doe and no narrow udder. I would have never guess this doe would have had a narrow birth canal, the rest of her isn't narrow. I'm more than likely going to wether him because I don't want narrow birth canals. Her kidding was stressful on her and me and the baby. She is a beautiful doe and really wouldn't mind having more like her, with everything but the narrow birth canal. Though, her sisters haven't had this problem so I don't know. Genetics are funny though. Just wanted to make sure that bumming out my fiance and telling him he's not staying a buck is 100% valid. lol

If she has a narrow birth canal, that's not something I would want to pass on if it is going to make for more tough kiddings ... what does the rest of her look like? Her udder? If you don't want a whole herd of does that look like her, I wouldn't keep him intact. If he wanted, your fiance could keep the little guy as a companion wether -- teach him to be a pack goat. My sister and I take our special goats on walks to the park.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you have a bad feeling about keeping him as a buck, then wether him :) It is your goat herd after all, and if you don't feel that he will help improve your herd, then it's best that he is just a pet. I agree with Danielle in that you should suggest wethering him and keeping him yourself as a pet, that way everyone wins!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i think alot of times ff have tough time because a. they have a single and b. if it's a buck.
how big was the father?. i know we use a smaller buck for ff, and after all they are supposed to be dwarfs. if the bucklibg has bloodlines and the confirmation you really like then keep him intact, but otherwise follow your own rule and wether him for a pet.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buck is on the small side. He's a Nigerian Dwarf as are my does. My smaller doe had 3 to 4lbs kids this year and she was a first freshener and did totally fine. The doe that had problems, the kid was MAYBE 2lbs... maybe.. He was very small at birth and was full term and I almost wasn't able to get him out. All my other does bred to the same buck and no problems besides one trying to come out backwards but that's an easy fix.

I think it's settled. I'm going to wether him. Plus, if he's a wether, he can stay with his mama and he wont stink! :D
i think alot of times ff have tough time because a. they have a single and b. if it's a buck.
how big was the father?. i know we use a smaller buck for ff, and after all they are supposed to be dwarfs. if the bucklibg has bloodlines and the confirmation you really like then keep him intact, but otherwise follow your own rule and wether him for a pet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts