To shave or not to shave?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I am trying to determine wether or not to clip my goats this summer. I have never done this but this is only my second summer with goats and they were not quite as hairy last year. What are some pro's and con's to being clipped. We also are having a bad time with ticks due to it being so dry last year and now. Plus as we are south Texas, our temps will get into the 100's later i the summer.

Here are a few pics of my boys for example as they are quite hairy.

Camel - lamancha
    [​IMG]

Doodle - nigerian
    [​IMG]

Picasso - nigerian
    [​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the goats will shed out to a shinny sleek coat, and I never shaved mine until this summer due to showing.

Shaving can be a headach as they dislike it very much. I dont like the look of a shaved goat but thats part of showing so I have no choice.

As to the pros: well you wont have them bustting up your fence because they are rubbing ot get rid of the winter hair.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Very true about the fences but I have to admit that my boys are very, very spoiled. They get brushed everyday, they love it, when they see me coming with the brush in my hand they are waiting by the gate before I can get there.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'd like to try that with mine...I wouldn't live to tell about it more than likely....they aren't very tolerant of stuff like that.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have never seen a tick on my boers...and never thought goats got them..? :shocked:

I don't shave my goats either...most people shave for showing.........

if the goats are shaved... and have light pigment... I'd be careful with sun burn.... :worried:

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I started the brushing thing when they were very young and I realized they were going to be puffballs. Once they got use to it, they really loved it. As for the ticks, I have not found one on them yet. Our horses were infested last year, so we started doctoring everything.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats get them around their eyes and on their ears. but thats all I have ever seen them

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ...I have never ever seen 1 on my boers...but I pick them off the dogs......maybe because most boers... don't have as long of hair?

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We brush the goats, They love it, but I am still worried about Luna as she is a nice dark red(i know pics :thumb: ) and we will hit 110 by end of june.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like to trim my bos up around the end of May....they don't like it but with all that extra fuzz they do tend to rub the fence quite often....but I have black goats and being so darkit makes for very hot goats!

I've not seen ticks attach to my goats and feed but they do bite them and it leaves horrible bumps on them....I spray mine with Bronco horse spray...it has permethrin and citronella, keeps the bugs off of them.

Your boys are gorgeous!!! Especially the nigi's....Love the horns too!

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hey there!

I live in Texas too, and don't shave. I brush my goats out as well, and if they seem to be really bothered, they get their bellies shaved. This way they can lay on the ground in a cool place and their belly cools off. They especially love when you take a shovel and dig up some dirt for them.

:thumbup:

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thank you - I really, really love all my boys. Only one I have a problem with on the horn issue and that is because he is spoiled. The other two have never even tried butting, or pushing me with them, even during rutting season.

Camel (lamancha) is my surfer dude that just so laid back, I can hear him going "Duudde the waves are like awwwsome." He loves everyone, will follow you everywhere, wants to be where you are, has to be petted, but he never gets out of hand about it.

Doodle (nigerian) is nothing but a pest thanks to my SO. He is not mean, he just thinks he has to play all the time, and with those horns he can be a little dangerous. But bring the brush out and he turns to a big baby.

Picasso (nigerian) hmmm how to describe him. He is also a lover but waaay more standoffish than Camel. He wants to be petted, brushed, loved, will even paw you if you stop, but he does not come looking for it, is not in your face. Also the best thing about him, he puts some of the most gorgeous babies on the ground.

I really like the ideal of just shaving thier bellies as they are light colored and I think they would sunburn otherwise.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

all of my goats are pretty good about being shaved, but then they all have it done at least twice a year from the time they are kids, because i do show. legs can get kind of tough sometimes but if youre patient its not too bad. I do legs off the milk stend usually bent over with the leg locked between my knees. Same for their head, i stradle their neck and hold their heads against my chest.
    Some of the pros, good way to get rid of lice their is nothing for the lice to cling too when they are shaved. Keeps the goats much cooler. Good and fast way to get all that itchy dry winter coat off.
    I prefere the look of a shaved goat to a hairy shaggy one.
    Cons, it can be a rodeo if youre goats arnt used to it.
    Depending on what sized blade you use you can avoid the sunscreen. I never go shorter then a seven on my girls, on white goats i never go shorter then a five.
    beth