The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 goats. The past year has been pretty rough for me and I think my goats are under weight. I don't know what to do. I have 3 does and 2 weithers. The does I have been feeding 18% sweet feed and the boys hay extender. But I have been trying to pack on weight for a couple of months. But I can't tell how skinny they are... Please help me

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Have you actually gotten a hold of the goats and put your hands on them? Can you body score them? Usually to help with weight gain, you need to add things like alfalfa pellets, shredded beet pulp and calf manna.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, have you actually felt them? Do you see obvious bones, or are the bones covered with a nice layer?
A pic might help.

Are they clipped or still wooly? The best way to determine if they are too thin is to feel them or clip them so you can see.

If they are still bony, then add some calf manna, sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets, and some beet pulp to their grain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think i attached some photos. sorry in not good with computers. yes i have felt them, im out with them every day, but like there hips are pretty boney, i can feel some fat but i can feel there spine, hips ribbs

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she is half american alpine and half oberhasli, shes around 2 and i have wormed them, i used durmor pellets about 3 weeks ago. and the reason im nervous is i have always had...fat goats i kow its bad but my parents used to spoil them and so i cut them back but i fear i cut them back to much. you cant really see her ribs except in the mornong when i first go out. in the morning her belly isnt full and she looks worse. thats what scares me. i showed goats for 5 years but i just cant tell for somereason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also want to put a little more weight on my weithers. one is about 4 years old and the other just 1 1/2. any sugestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well she gets about 2 cups of sweet feed twice a day. No she have never kid. I give them 3-4 flakes twice a day and some I between. And yes I keep the water clean.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
When I'm feeding my mini's, I give them 1 flake for 3 goats, there are 9 goats out there, so I add another flake, that way there is no fighting. That is twice/day. I will be cutting back a little bit now that the pasture is growing.

The "big" girls get a flake each/twice/day. And, again, the pasture is growing so I can cut that back some now. But, wow, these girls get skinny fast, so I stopped trying to "save" the hay.

My bales are small, about 45lbs. or so. Adjust to your size bales. I've also heard, to feed as much as they will clean up in 20-30 minutes. But, that didn't seem enough to me. If they are wasting a lot, I cut back.

I also feed a 12% grain mix, with added alfalfa pellets and BOSS. The milking does get 18%.

Make sure they are utd on their deworming. Have a fecal done. I had a tape worm episode here a couple years ago...you can see that critter in the feces...looks like rice. Tape worm can bring them down fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts