The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 young does both around 7 months old. i just did fecals on everyone. These 2 does had "moderate" oocysts of coccidians. That is 50-200 eggs per gram . .. so im trying to find out if this is high enough to treat or no. Opinions? .. one the doelings had a bad fight with coccidiosis a few months ago. Doing great now but still getting weight back on her

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only symptom with her still is her weight. Id say her battle with it was about a month maybe two ago?. It was bad i basically brought her back from the dead. I treated with corid drench for 5 days that time. Followed up with b12 and probiotics after. Both are very spunky Mucus membranes have good color. but im just not happy with the weight.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So I had a few of mine that went from heavy to moderate. I decided not to chemically treat when they were at the moderate level for two reasons. One, it was a drastic improvement from what they were. Two, physical health was good (no clinical signs and gaining weight like champs). I still keep them on a strict, pretty hefty natural regimen for coccidia but their fecal counts keep getting better every time. If those numbers go up again or they show clinical signs, I’ll chemically treat right away. If you are having concerns that it’s affecting their health and weight gain, I’d treat.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I am curious. What is your natural regimen for coccidia
I use LOH parasite formula 3 or 4 times a week (alternating a week at 3x’s, then a week at 4). I give a mix of diluted essential oils (clove, orange, lemon grass, and oregano) 2x’s a week. They get these in their individual morning feedings. At night, every night, they get herbs added to their feed (ground cinnamon, clove, ginger, cayenne, and sometimes slippery elm). They also get ACV and one clove of chopped garlic added to every meal (so 2x’s a day every day). Sometimes I will ease up on some of the nightly herbs and just give them a few at a time. When I started treating them, I double dosed the LOH but don’t feel the need to do that anymore.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
I would treat and do cocci prevention every 21 days to keep on top of it.
Or do fecals once a month.
Especially if they are picking it up off the contaminated ground.

If there is any way to move them to a different clean area, that would help.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
And I just want to reiterate, even though I went the natural route, I’d treat if it’s affecting their weight gain or any other aspect of health. I was fortunate enough to be helped along my path by people here as I waited for a huge delay before I could get results. Then I was able to do my own and fecals and confirm with sent lab samples repeatedly to know my goats were doing well. I still do this monthly. I used to do it twice a month. However, if I see a set back in any of it, I’ll be treating them chemically right away. Coccidia is nothing to mess around with, especially when they’re young and growing. I’m sure you’ll find what works for you and your goats. It’s great that you are staying on top of it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as rotating pasture i cannot they all live in a 1 acre lot fenced. I am going to start cleaning bedding daily instead of every couple of days tho they have a shelter they like to sleep in. I started the 2 young does on a corid drench today. Thank you guys for the input!

·
14,730 Posts
Aww they are very pretty! They look healthy and of good weight from that picture? Which one are you most concerned about? What are you feeding your girls to get the weight back on the 1 you are concerned about? Sometimes I think after getting so sick, they can't absorb the nutrients as well and really need an additional boost. Things like drenching twice a day with Dyne, or adding a little more feed or fat to their diet can help them bounce back. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bigger gal my Nubian. She was pretty skinny when sick.. lookin alot better but up close upon feeling her i can still feel more backbone than id like to and around her hindquarters just arent quite back to what she was before the sickness. I have been feeding her a sweet mix from a local mill. She gets twice daily feeding of that mixed with rice bran pellets for extra fat. And alfalfa pellets. She eats around 3 pounds a feed a between both feedings. Gets regular hay alfalfa and i have minerals out for them. The Dyne is good idea. I gave her some nutrient drench before when she was really sick. Not a bad thought to go get me some more ill do that. Oh also was giving her red cell when her color was not good while sick

·
14,730 Posts
She's such a pretty girl. Have you given her any copper? Her coat makes me think maybe she needs some.
I understand your concern, my husband was in charge of our mama's this summer and they look rough - need copper and just dewormed some but treated all for coccidia even though most weren't bad, but the weather has been really stressful.
Our older doe usually has a nice dark red w/black summer coat and it's rough and looks like she has a winter coat, same with a traditional red head/white body doe, but neither have fishtail, neither had much on their fecal.
I've concentrated so much all summer on the younger goats with a busy, busy summer show season.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts