The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 does one born March 16 the other April 19th. I had planned on weaning when the younger one was 12 weeks old but both are eating very, very well. The younger as well if not better than the older one. I have them down to one bottle a day and reducing the amount gradually. Just wondered if they really needed the milk after they are eating so well. Should I stop the bottle or continue until the youngest reaches 12 weeks?

·
Super Moderator
58,205 Posts
I would go ahead and stop the bottles. If they are eating everything fine and drinking water, they should be fine.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
I'm keeping my little quads supplemented as they are small. Just giving them an extra boost. On the other hand, my buckling was weaned at 7 weeks; he was a twin and HUUUUGE and ready to breed, so it was time to separate from momma. So, partially it depends on the goat. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I did go ahead and wean them a couple of days ago. They don't even act like they miss it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
91baby, did you gradually wean them off? or did you just separate them and say, ok, kids, that's it?

I am bottle-raising 2 kids, still giving them 2 bottles 2x/day, and wondering how quickly i can wean them. they are nearly 2 months but definitely enjoying hay and goatchow. I have not seen them drinking water.

thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
91baby, did you gradually wean them off? or did you just separate them and say, ok, kids, that's it?

I am bottle-raising 2 kids, still giving them 2 bottles 2x/day, and wondering how quickly i can wean them. they are nearly 2 months but definitely enjoying hay and goatchow. I have not seen them drinking water.

thanks
When they were really eating well I took them down to one bottle a day, at about 6 weeks, after a couple of weeks stopped it all together. They acted like they still wanted it when it was time and they saw us so I started giving them a little grain at bottle time and that seemed to satisfy them. They don't even act like they miss it now and started eating more browse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts