To wether or not to wether?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Maggie, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    We have a June buckling that I am debating on castrating. Is there any market for wethers born so late in the year? That is, besides for selling by the pound?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Is he buck quality? Something that would greatly improve the breed and/or your herd? If not, I'd always wether. :wink: I usually have about 40 or more kids per year... I've never kept more than 2 or 3 bucklings intact out of all those kids.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Usually if you are contemplating whether or not to wether...then it's usually best to wether the animal. A buck quality kid usually should be easily recognized. :thumb:

As for marketability...I think it depends on what similar quality animals are selling for in your area and how goat sales are going around you. I would think an average quality buck vs. an average quality wether...a wether would be an easier sale. Also...you won't have to worry about an extra buckling trying to get out and the extra stink. ;)

4. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Very good points.

5. parkinsonfarms

parkinsonfarms Senior Member

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    I agree with everyone. Plus if you wether there is usually alot of 4-H kids looking for next years wether, people looking for pets or weed eaters. I would say if he is not buck quality wether him. Can we see a picture? :D

6. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Would 4-h kids be interested in a kid born so late in the season? He is a really nice kid, the only reason I am considering wethering him is because he has a split in his scrotum... which obviously wouldn't be a problem after I banded him :p

7. Wethers can go as pets or meat or companions. Bucks are strictly for breeding or meat in most cases.
    If you think he is worthy of siring kids then maybe leave him intact. If not wether.

8. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    Agreed :thumb: How are his lines? Does he have a really nice dam/sire? Another thing that should be brought into consideration, are his lines strong enough to pass on to kids?

9. parkinsonfarms

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri

Most 4-h kids around here prefer the bigger wet hers so they probably wouldn't care. How bad is the spit? how old is he? if it's just the splite that you think is a problem then that would mean you have to wether him unless it's a big split. I agree that you need to look at his lines if he is registered also.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get a picture? And show the spit as well.....

11. parkinsonfarms

May 10, 2011
    Maysville, Missouri
    I agree with Pam Pictures of him and his split.

12. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    I would have replied sooner, but haven't had any power all day. His split is pretty big, would not pass breed standards. It didn't look as bad when he was little, but its pretty clear that is about 1/3 way up his testicles. He is a nice little guy otherwise and has a nice pedigree as well.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    wether hom. even ifyouhave to sell himby the pound its better thanthesplit gettingpassedon to potential kids

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is up to you on what to do...if you don't think he should be a buck ....then wether him....... I know it can be a hard decision to make.... :hug: