The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking care of my friend's goat who has mastitis, and need some advice on which antibiotic to use. She's still currently milking, but I need to dry her off. I'm milking her twice a day, but only getting about a half cup of milk each time. I'm giving her sage to help dry her off, massaging her udder with peppermint oil at each milking, and giving B Complex and Echinacea every day. Her udder isn't nearly as lumpy as it was when I got her, two days ago, but I'm still going to use the antibiotic just to insure the infection is completely gone before sending her back home. I plan on drying her off within the next week if possible, so which antibiotic should I use, ToDay or ToMorrow? And if I use ToMorrow, is it only a one time dosage? That's what I read, but wasn't sure if it would be the same in this instance.

Thanks!

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
Never dry off a doe with mastitis if you can help it at all. Doing so can cause her to freshen with it a lot worse next spring.
I would treat her with the Today now and make sure that she is clean. Then dry off and use Tomorrow and teat sealant on her. She should be infused with Tomorrow every 30 days while she's dry and new teat sealant put on.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
Today is for lactating goats, so that is OK. Both TOday and tomorrow basically have the same ingredients to fight off mastitis, so you can't go wrong.

I would do it every day until she improves, I don't just do it 1x and not check her again. I want it cured, so, milk her and treat her until she is good, then do it one more time for GP to ensure it is gone. Mastitis if left with just a little bit of bad, not treated, she will get it back again for sure.

Sorry she got mastitis. :(

·
Nazarene Valley Saanens
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've started on ToDay and plan on continuing until she's cleared up. I wasn't going to start drying her off until the infection was gone. Unfortunately my feed store only had 8 tubes, so I'll have to hunt around for some more if she doesn't clear up by tomorrow. Her udder is feeling almost completely back to normal, there's hardly any swelling at all. Do you think she will be ok to stop the ToDay tomorrow? I'll continue with the peppermint oil massages, echinacea and sage in her feed.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
You can put a small amount of milk in a little container like a tablespoon, then put a drop of blue Dawn dish soap on it. If it gels, she still has bacteria, if it stays liquid, she's clear. Poor mans mastitis test.

I would definitely use a dry cow treatment on her though to prevent it coming back next freshening.

·
I'm watching you
22,546 Posts
No, the Today shouldn't affect the test. Yes, the last time you milk her out do the dry cow treatment. They make fancy stuff to seal the teats but, you can actually just use a dot of Elmer's School Glue. It will fall off in a couple days and by then her body will have made a nice plug.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.