Todays Epic Battle...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by PACE, Jan 27, 2008.

1. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Today was beautiful, cold and sunny with a bright blue sky and a bit of wind... or that's what the goats thought, anyway. They were so frisky! I went down this afternoon to feed them and when I stepped outside I saw Shanti on the top of the rock, spinning wildly round and round... and round! He was a bit frenzied, really. In front of him a mighty battle was taking place; Pace was on the ground rearing and plunging and knocking Melino, who was on the side of the rock, in the head with as much strength as he could muster. I stood at the top of the hill, enjoying their epic struggle to win the title of "King of the Mountain." Shanti seemed at a loss as to how to help his brother (he always sides with Pace no matter what) so every now and then he would pause in his spinning and jolt forward a few steps, ramming Melino in the behind. The prodigious white goat could not take his attention from his main competetor: the stout brown and white goat with the whispy white beard, and so was obliged to slide down the rock towards certain doom with every blow Shanti gave. Pace rose mightily again and again, Melino always meeting him midway, every fiber of his being absorbed in defeating Pace!

Then they heard me giggling...

... quite suddenly they all straightened up and stood still, alert, perhaps wondering what the consequence of my presence might be. Would I pick sides? Join the battle? Decide to fight my own way to victory using my advantage-giving opposable thumbs? Or the worst of all... would I humiliate them all by lavishing hugs, kisses, and heaps of baby talk on their fuzzy wuzzy, itty bitty cutsie selves, shaming them so greatly that none of them would ever be fit as "King?"

Then they spotted the three black rubber tubs in my hands, and Shanti gave a joyful bleat. In a split second, they had tumbled off the rock and were standing eagerly by the gate, eyes locked on the dishes. DINNER TIME! There was a momentary truce, as they all concentrated their efforts on taking me down... I hesitantly opened the gate, preparing myself for the inevitable three-goat stampede. Out they poured, surrounding me and looking way too adorabl. As quickly as possible, I set down the food and backed away. They then seemed satisfied that I had been defeated and went back to their previous rivaly, pushing and shoving and casting untrusting glances at the others, even though they were at sepatate dishes spaced several yards apart...

Once dinner was over with they each ambled over to the fresh hot water I had brought, sucking it up greedily and smacking their lips with contentment...

Then, suddnely, off dashed Pace, wildly, as if he meant to foil Melino by lulling him into a false sense of security, while all along planning to run madly to the top of The Rock, securing his title as "King." Melino was ready, however, and took off in hot persuit. Shanti looked at me for a brief second, as if to say "here we go again" before following the others to assist Pace. This battle, unlike the one before, took place while on the run. There would be short spurts of hard-core headbutting, then long sprints following confusing patterns around the pen... I suppose being a mere human I have no hope of ever understanding their secret goat-warrior ways, so I contented myself with standing by the hayfeeder and laughing at them. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, round and round, up the Rock, down the Rock, back and forth, then suddnely they would gallop up to me (the safety zone) and stand there, breathing heavily for a few seconds, until one began the chase again. Dirt was flying up behind them, the ground was thundering, you could see their muscles rippling under the skin. They surged forward, sometimes Pace would, in a split-secon, turn around and rear up without warning. Melino was often quick enough to leap and dart aglilely around him, but sometimes collided with him, looking most put-out, and even a bit embarassed. These small setbacks only seemed to make Melino more dertemined, and he set off with more power and confidence. For a long time they ran, and ran, and ran...

Finally, they all ended up back on the rock, but seemed to have forgotten their original goal, as they all clustered on the top ledge and collapsed, apparently ruling together. They looked over their vast kingdom, taking in eveything and everyone. The only being left on the ground was me, their humble servant, who they expected to refill their hayracks, sweep the floor of the shed, fill up the mineral feeder, haul the ice-filled water bucket up to the garage, and essentially wait on them hand-and-foot. And guess what? I did.
  2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    A great story- enjoyed it from beginning to end. Thundering goat hooves huh.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    OH Emily that was the best thing I have read all day! :ROFL: :slapfloor:

you should save these and write books one day - or better yet start writing now :D

it was very captivating I must say. I could totaly see them doing everything you described - amazing. loving to write myself it takes quite a bit to grab my imagination and really take me on that ride. Good work :hi5: :clap:
  4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    that was an awesome little goat adventure story!!!!!
  5. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    Thanks for the smile! I loved it!!! :)
  6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    That was great!! Thanks for sharing :D :lol:
  7. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    That was fantastic! I felt like I was there watching it all myself! Thanks so much for posting it!
  8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    You are a really good writer Emily! I felt like I was there watching the "Epic Battle"
  9. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Haha...Lovely!!! So very...uh...truthful too... :greengrin:
  10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Me too, I was captivated!! Keep up the great work, you have a real gift! I love how you ask questions, putting yourself on the sidelines? The referee? The gushy mama embarassing their manly ways? I just love it!!
  11. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    You betcha!!! And don't try to tell them different :shades:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! Goats are wonderful subjects to write about--- constantly up to... well, anything and EVERYTHING LOL :lol: And the best part is they are so passionate about what they do, you can tell they put their whole hearts into accomplishing their goals (such as becoming king) then the winner will stroll right over so proudly expecting cuddles and baby talk!