The Goat Spot Forum banner

Togg Kid with Messed up eye! HELP

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  audrey 
#1 ·
I just recently got a Tog kid in July and the day after bringing her home I noticed her eye was cloudy and squinty so I pulled it open, there was scar tissue growing over her eye, and there were veins growing in the scar tissue as well. We took her to the vet and they gaveus Antibiotic ointment
and numbing drops to ease discomfort. We also were given an antibiotic shot to give her every 4 days, and after about 10 days her eye was looking great! Well I'm going to Washington State fair on Friday, and I went out to the field yesterday and noticed that my little Tog's eye was messed up again! It was completely cloudy and scared over but no veins this time, I put antibiotic ointment in it and numbing drops, normally I wouldn't be so worried and take a goat to the vet other then she is a VERY nice doe kid, and she has a leg on her already, and I only have 3 goats and she is my best doe.... What do I do about her eye?! Why is this reaccuring?

#2 ·
put 2 or 3 drops of penicillin directly onto the eye 2 or 3 times a day. This will be your quickest course of treatment I believe. 4 days of antibiotics is rarely enough time to clear up any infection. Treatments are usually 5, 7 or 10 days. Why the vet wanted to do shots for an eye infection is beyond me. But if you do the drops into the eye, by the time fair hits, you should be good to go. If it were me Id continue to do the treatment at the fair but some people may not like that you brought a possible case of pink eye to the fair and are treating it there.

#3 ·
check the eye carefully..if its ulcered I would not put antibiotic in the eye..rather a triple antibiotic cream instead..other wise tylan 200/pen/LA 200 all work well as an eye drop...

#6 ·
Sounds like she poked it on something. As the eye heals from some sort of laceration, because there is very little blood flow to the eye ball directly, that is what the eye does to heal it, it actually enlarges and I think even creates new vessels to the damaged area. One of my horses got 1.5 inches of blackberry bramble up inside her eyelid a few years ago, it became quit the (expensive) learning experience. She healed up just fine though.

If you can, get some dye strips, or drops from your vet to see if the eye is ulcerated and go from there. You should also be sure to look at it really well with a flashlight to make sure there aren't any foreign objects in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.