Toltrazuril cocci prevention?

Discussion in 'Parasites' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I know Corid has a cocci prevention treatment, but does tultrazuril have one? If so, what is the dosage?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

1cc per 5lbs is the only dosage.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is this a prevenative?

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  4. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I was advised every 21 days as preventative.

5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    For how long?

6. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I give it at 3, 6, 9 and maybe 12 weeks old

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  7. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

:up:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Until about 8 months old or so, as a prevention, depending.

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Oh then my babies are too old for that. Thank you though!

10. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    I just don't think they are at much risk beyond 12 weeks old. Some give it longer.

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Toltrazuril actually works best as a preventive but it will treat coccidia. I prefer to add herbs to help address a treatment along with Tolt. As mentioned, dose is the same. Toltrazuril does not work the same way as sulfa drugs we give every 21 days. Im afraid frequent dosing may build a resistance. Here we dose once at 3 weeks old ( 1 cc per 5#) then we booster anytime there is a stressor, Like illness, banding, rehoming, severe wet stormy weather, weening, etc. Sometimes that can be once a month, other times can be a few times before weening. Personally, I would not give every 21 days as protocal if not needed.

"Due to its particular mode of action, which affects all intracellular structures of Coccidia, Toltrazuril (Compare the active ingredient of Baycox 5%¨)demonstrates very high efficacy, as shown by the following benefits:

-prevents or reduces the severity of lesions,

-stops oocyst shedding,

-improves growth rate,

-improves feed conversion.

These product characteristics make Baycox 5%¨ suitable for both therapy and metaphylaxis in domesticated animals.

Toltrazuril (Compare the active ingredient of Baycox 5%¨) damages all intracellular development stages of Eimeria (= Coccidia).

Toltrazuril affects schizonts, micro- and macrogametes, but not the tissue cells of the host animals, as was shown in light and electron microscopic studies.

These findings suggest that toltrazuril interferes with the division of the nucleus and with the activity of the mitochondria, which is responsible for the respiratory metabolism of Coccidia.

In the magrometes, toltrazuril damages the so-called wall-forming bodies. In all intracellular developmental stages, severe vacuolisation occurs due to inflation of the endoplasmatic reticulum.

Toltrazuril thus has a coccidiocidal mode of action.

The special mode of action results in the following advantages:

-toltrazuril acts on all intracellular developmental stages,

-toltrazuril does not interfere with the development of immunity,

-follow-up treatment usually is not necessary,

-even an advanced infection (after 3 - 5 days; gametogony) can still be treated successfully,

-the efficacy of toltrazuril is independent of the severity of the infection."