The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How soon can I give newborn a dose of .toltrazuril? Pinky's new baby now has very runny watery and kind of bubbly poop.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
I dont give it before 3 weeks...
How old is pinkies baby?? is she dam raised or bottle raised??

Stop all milk
give 3 cc pepto
3cc cd antitoxin
1/4 tsp. Baking soda in enough water to drench
feed electrolytes in a bottle until she thickens up...

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

you can cut this down since this is quite a bit of electros or feed extra to mom

·
Registered
31,089 Posts

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
If she has watery poop..I would pull her off mom for the day..feed the electros to keep her hydrated...and the other things i suggested. Milk is hard to digest when tummy is messed up...feeding more milk will cause the runs to continue ..the c d antitoxin is most important...

I would get her temp as well

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
At 3 days she wouldn't have coccidia so the toltrazuril wouldn't do any good. I would suspect E. Coli in this case. I would pick up some neomycin sulfate to treat the e coli with and give the kid the electrolytes like happybleats said. I would leave her with mom though, with calves it used to be a common practice to withhold milk while they had scours, but now they have found out all that does is make the calf worse. Without milk the calf gets weak and unable to fight off the e coli. Also, when you put the calf (goat) back on milk or with mom if you do it too quickly they will get the runs again.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
I agree....ecoli is def. a possibility...Neomycin is in a bottle..liquid and oral..
here is a pic of it..
http://www.jefferspet.com/neomycin-oral-solution/camid/liv/cp/16369/

I would def. do the cd antitoxin as well...make sure its not toxoid!

1 cc per 5# on the CD Ant. and 1 1/2 cc 2 times a day on the neomycin 2 times day..
I disagree with keeping her on mom...8-12 hours wont hurt her with no milk as long as you keep her hydrated...but it will be hard for her to digest that milk while her tummy is in such a state..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I went everywhere in 3 county's to try to find the cd antitoxin no one has it and everyone tried to sell me cdt. Tsc carries it but didn't have any. But i did get the neomycin.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
straight from the bottle..: )
I have to order cd antitoxin..cant find it around here either..

I think I would give 1 1/2 cc per day for that tiny girl...broke up in two doses...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
straight from the bottle..: )
I have to order cd antitoxin..cant find it around here either..

I think I would give 1 1/2 cc per day for that tiny girl...broke up in two doses...
It's so frustrating trying to find things for goats. The people around here just look at me like I'm crazy. I called to get an app. At the vets office to get 2 of my bucklings disbudded nd they act like they never even heard of it.

Ok we'll I already gave 1 cc so tomorrow I will give 1 1/2 broke in 2 doses.

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
it is frustrating...lol..my vet now just gives me what I want..sometimes with eye brow raised lol..

·
Registered
31,089 Posts
Hum....feel her belly see if its hard...Is she still on mom or Bottle electros? If on the electros..how much are you feeding her..She needs about 1.5 onces four times a day..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts