Toltrazuril

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Jan 25, 2021.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I have my babies their first dose of Toltrazuril on 1/15/21 as a prevention. I had marked a rescheduled dose for 1/25/21 for 2nd dose then 3/25 for the third round. After reading on this I may not need round two but just wait for round 3 which would be a month and 10 days out from first round. When do you think I need to give it or do I need to give 2nd dose. They don’t appear to have any problems at the moment.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I only give one dose if needed so I'm not sure on a schedule.

happybleats and toth boer goats like this.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    If doing it as preventative we do once a month from a month old until 5 months old. Then month six we see if they are able to deal with it on their own.... i wait two extra weeks then do a fecal and see what their load is. If it needs treatment then i do do the two doses and do prevent for another month after that. Then try again. Most of the time they are good by 5 months here though to deal with it on their own.

Unless they have a high load the second dose is not needed. Just monthly for prevention.

I do send in fecals a weekish after dosing each month though. To see how they are doing. Maybe i am nutty but with kids i want to know that med is working. This past year i had to switch from corid to the tolt because the corid was not working well for the kids. Heck i even had two does with high counts and i have never needed treat my does. :/. But it was a super weird very wet not cold winter and spring was just as bad here last year. This year is pretty much the same. Ugh.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We also do the one dose and booster only as needed. Toltrazuril is not like sulfa drugs that need every 21 days or monthly. Toltrazuril works differently. I give boosters if babies have an active case,, are stressed from heavy wet storms or illness, banding or weening and I do send them off with a dose when sold.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Care to explain?

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sure.

Toltrazuril affects schizonts, micro- and macrogametes, but not the tissue cells of the host animals, as was shown in light and electron microscopic studies.
    These findings suggest that toltrazuril interferes with the division of the nucleus and with the activity of the mitochondria, which is responsible for the respiratory metabolism of Coccidia.
    In the magrometes, toltrazuril damages the so-called wall-forming bodies. In all intracellular developmental stages, severe vacuolisation occurs due to inflation of the endoplasmatic reticulum.
    Toltrazuril thus has a coccidiocidal mode of action.

The special mode of action results in the following advantages:

-toltrazuril acts on all intracellular developmental stages,

-toltrazuril does not interfere with the development of immunity,

-follow-up treatment usually is not necessary,

-even an advanced infection (after 3 - 5 days; gametogony) can still be treated successfully,

-the efficacy of toltrazuril is independent of the severity of the infection.

7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I've yet to see anyone that follows the label directions. The above is the mode of action but, doesn't really explain how to use it.
    There's 2 ways to use it depending on your operation. I'll explain when and why in a few minutes.

8. goathiker

So sorry, my pup reacted badly to her Leptospirosis vaccine. Will be back tomorrow afternoon asap. Need sleep before I can think.
    Pup is stable and sleeping well with my old Fila.

GoofyGoat, ksalvagno and Sfgwife like this.
  9. goathiker

Okay back, and now I have a quandary but, that's for another thread.
    Toltrazuril was really made for feedlots and confined farming. It can be used for homesteading conditions if it's always kept in mind that resistance builds quickly to it. Rotation is always key.
    So, the 2 ways to use it...
    The main key is to give it when the baby's very first case is still immature. If you are not feeding oocyte repressing feed to your does, then the kids are getting their first infection day 1. In this case it works best given at 7 to 9 days. This window creates a vaccine effect and they should be good until weaning time when you should give them another dose.

The second way to use it is to wait until they show signs of having coccidia. By this time though there is already damage to the gut. If done this way you give 1 dose and another 10 days later to try to catch enough immature oocytes to cause that vaccine effect.

Goats Rock likes this.
  10. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Rotation is always key?
    Rotate with what?

11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I gave at one month old as a preventative. I haven’t given any more but had schedule the next dose on February 19 (I moved it from 15th to 19th because it on a weekend) which is one month from last dose. What should I be doing?

12. goathiker

You should give a second dose 10 days from the first and then watch to see if the vaccine effect is working.
    One of the mistakes made is treatment by fecal. A large amount of coccidia in the fecal can be the animal's immune system working properly. In order to see the difference you need to be able to stain slides and look for dead bodies.

13. goathiker

Whatever you want I guess. I'm using tetracycline this year. 2 shots and done lol.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA