The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New Year is coming in with a resounding freeze. Its good for the bug kill but man is it getting cold. 19° tonight, 17° tomorrow night, 16° the next and 13° after that. Then we warm up to 15° for Tuesday night. The highs for those days is only in the high 20's to low 30's. BUrrrrrrrrrr. Extra hay for those nights so they can stay warm. I would put in another bale of shavings but they keep kicking them out the door.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Very cold here also.......15 was our daytime high today and really breezy, don't you just love those freezing winds with blowing snow?????

Just took my 4 boys out a 3 gallon bucket of very hot water, had to come back to house and get more.......they slurped it up so fast! They love their hot water!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arkansas is in the SOUTH. The SOUTH is not supposed to be sooo cold. Someone forgot to tell the SOUTH that it was not the NORTH and didn't need to compete for lowest temps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, Crocee!

This morning it was 35F when I went out to feed...and Gabby was just fine...no shivering at all! Go figure! (To others, I Crocee was helping me on another MB when Gabby was shivering when it was 40F).

I went ahead an bought a foal blanket for her, though, just in case - because the temperatures are going to get down into the 20s several times this week...which is very cold for Florida.

Siggy - my Norwegian Fjord, and Gabby's BFF was shivering when I went to feed last night when it was 50F! He's been body clipped (if he's not clipped, he's absolutely miserable in our Florida winters...which are typically in the mid/upper 80s with the occasional cold fronts moving through). Needless to say, Siggy wore his blanky and was nice and toasty warm this morning!

This has been a crazy year for weather in the south!

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's supposed to get down to 10 Monday night before warming up again. I can put out hay and extra grain but I wish there was more I could do. It's going to be cold the next couple nights, then really cold on Monday. I'm concerned. They have shelters and places to get out of the wind but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do?

It was in the teens last night and some of them were sleeping outside!

Thought about making a temp pen for the babies and bringing them in to the garage, but I'm wondering if that's misplaced good intentions. It would freak the babies out, freak the nannies out and could end up doing more harm than good. Some of the mothers are first time nannies and I'm afraid separating them from mom might not be a good idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Freelancer -

I am, by far, too new at any of this to be advising anyone on how to care for their goat(s), but I thought I'd pass along two websites I found that carry goat blankets.

http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/home.php?cat=89
or
http://www.sheepman.com/ecommerce/ecomm ... t&catid=55

...and Ebay has a ton of "goat blankets" listed as well.

I know that doesn't help you tonight...but in case you need them in the future.

There will be differing opinions on "to-blanket or not to-blanket" and people here will likely have valuable input. Gabby (my goat that was a rescue in October and is still underweight) has a blanket now because she was shivering the other morning when it was 40F - not really that cold!!! Probably due to a lack of body-fat reserves.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's been VERY cold today. If it stays in the negative temps, I'll be sewing "goat coats" for the babies. I got them a heat lamp this morning, because this weather is ridiculous.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm getting a load of hay in tomorrow and am going to pad their shelters with loose hay. That should help insulate it a little.

Coats are out because I'd need 15 by Monday and we're planning on selling out and moving, so that would be difficult. A heat lamp is a possibility. As a volunteer fireman, I cringe at that. I've seen a lot of people burn their animals to death trying to help.

·
Boer Goat Breeder
5,084 Posts
It has been really cold here to, in the teens, and I keep wondering if the goats are too cold. But then I remember they are animals and that is why they have all that hair. Mine act like i am crazy for putting them in a stall that is mostly closed up. They dont act cold at all and the cattle have been in the feilds all day and night for the past couple days even thought they have a nice warm barn. The only thing I am worried about is the kids. The one is due on the 12th and the other is due Feb. 8th. But I was told the kids will be fine I have a creep area for the kids with a heat lamp if they get cold. But I am sure they will be fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
But then I remember they are animals and that is why they have all that hair.
They also have an internal compost barrel which puts off heat. If you've ever stirred up a compost pile in the winter, it's warm in the middle. So I make sure they've got plenty in the hopper to burn and can group up together out of the wind.

They all look pretty fluffy, like teddy bears. Tonight through Tuesday, going to be really cold. But they should be okay.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have a 6 day old bottle baby in the barn that I'm worried bout...the wind chill got down into the negatives with highs in the teens today...he seems to be fine but I still dont like this weather!

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's 19 here and our bottle babies were outside all day. Brought them in for feeding and they were fine. Feet were a little cold but not bad. And that with no shelter and no herd to buddy up with.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Oh Sara......it is so cold up here too......2 degree at 5:00am this morn with -11 wind chill! I am already sick of winter and so are my boys......they absolutley will not go outside with the snow and cold temps. Good thing I have a large barn, I have been going out a couple times a day and opening their pen and letting them run loose in the barn so they can get excercise.....hubbies flatbed trailer has become their jungle gym!

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
How can ya'll handle weather that cold? :whatgoat:

Heck, it's been in the low 50's as a high this week and that is TOO COLD for me!

:GAAH:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Epona......I actually grew up in Texas! I am from the DFW area, we moved up here 6yrs ago. I love living up here except for the months of Jan, Feb and part of March......but it is great the rest of the year. I have to say that even with this horribly cold weather, I do not miss the hot summers of Texas. I look at it as a trade off......I traded Texas summers for Indiana winters. I guess there is no perfect weather all the time place to live and if there was I think I would get sick of that also...it always being the same.

My daughter lives in Seattle, but is getting ready to move back to Texas, as her hubby is being re-stationed to Fort Hood.....she to grew up in Texas and is dreading going back to the hot summers, but is looking foward to living near family again......Texas is our home.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts