The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nigerian Dwarf goats, Mini Nubians, Poultry
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you happened to have read my last thread, you know I mentioned that I’ve got my eyes on a doe.

Now I know I’m my heart I have my answer… I want her. She would be amazing for my herd, in my opinion! But I want your guys’ thoughts. Maybe I’m looking with rose tinted glasses if that’s the right saying! So please, be honest! I want to make sure I have a good foundation herd.

Eye Plant Tree Fawn Terrestrial animal

Liver Working animal Fawn Fence Terrestrial animal

This is her. She is a two year old first freshener so this photo is a little outdated, but the udder picture was soon after she kidded with triplets. Tiny, but in my opinion it is put together beautifully. Nice teat placement, good medial, but hard to see attachments. I think that is my biggest concern with her, however her lineage is backed up with some INSANE side attachments so I’m hoping that with another freshening I’d be able to see her true potential. I’m not worried about her capacity as my first doe also had a tiny udder as an FF and this year she blew me away with her production.

If I were to buy her, she would be bought bred due to kid around May to a buck of my choice. This breeder has some very nice buck lines as well, so if she were to kid out even just a single buck I would most likely retain him and keep those genetics for myself.

Here are some photos of her parents lines in case you are curious!
Fawn Snout Livestock Terrestrial animal Human leg

Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Snout Livestock

Dam‘a udder and sires dams udder.
Terrestrial animal Primate Liver Fur Wildlife

sires sires dams udder.
Horse Plant Liver Fawn Natural landscape

full sisters udder.

So… what does everyone think? Am I on to something good here?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It sounds like your mind is already made up, but I would be happy to help validate ;)
She looks like a nice little doe! I love her front end. She has great brisket extension and great placement of her front legs, which is something that Nigerians seem to be struggling with, even in top herds.

I'd like to see a stronger lower jaw and maybe a little bit more length of body. I'd also like to see a better defined medial. Teat placement is pretty good and rear udder arch is decent. She definitely looks like a solid little doe and if you think she will help improve your herd, you should go for it! And that dark gold color is so pretty ;)

·
Registered
Nigerian Dwarf goats, Mini Nubians, Poultry
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like your mind is already made up, but I would be happy to help validate ;)
She looks like a nice little doe! I love her front end. She has great brisket extension and great placement of her front legs, which is something that Nigerians seem to be struggling with, even in top herds.

I'd like to see a stronger lower jaw and maybe a little bit more length of body. I'd also like to see a better defined medial. Teat placement is pretty good and rear udder arch is decent. She definitely looks like a solid little doe and if you think she will help improve your herd, you should go for it! And that dark gold color is so pretty ;)
Thank you!

She has traits that I don’t have in my herd, specifically the good teat placement and her good front leg placement. I have a buck who adds a lot of length and depth to his kids, and have another buckling who I have yet to see what he throws, but has some pretty good lines that I’m excited to see incorporated into my herd. I appreciate your insight!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts