Too many barn flies

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by nancy d, Jul 19, 2010.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    How do I cut the population? They are small buggars not normal size. I've tried spraying mixure of water vinegar oil & garlic but it doesnt seem to help.
    There is hay stored in there so I dont really want to use anything toxic. I do have a bottle of stuff for horses. They dont seem to bother the goats who are not in said barn.
    At this point Im thinking off pulling all feed out of there & just bombing the place. And what would I bomb with?
    Help please!

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quick Bait spot on fly spray works really great, I just spray it on surfaces where the flies land often and wow it will knock them out, I literally sweep piles of them out of the barn. I don't spray it directly in pens where the goat's are kept.

3. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I have been using DE (diatomaceous earth- food grade) in my barns and I am very impressed. Flies are really bad here this year and I have no flies in the barn nor spiders.

4. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    ChiChi we spread the DE here too. Outside the flies arent too bad. Must be the chick pen in there that hasnt been cleaned out yet.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we use fly bags or the trap and toss- smell horrible but they work!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    DUCKS!!!! All naturaul fly repellant ;-)

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ducks attract the flies with their poop -- talking from experience. They do eat flies though better then chickens

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I personally have just the opposite stacey. My ducks are no where near as messy - and where my flies are is in the goat pen where the chickens are and they really did nothing for them - let the ducks in and they "cleaned house" so to speak. I have had my ducks since early early spring and love them to help!

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hanging Trap-N-Toss. Duck and DE on the ground. :p

Gina

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Just put up "Flies be Gone". Hope it works.
    Ducks are great for slugs too :wink:

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We've had a crazy invasion of flies the past several days in the barn! What is safe to put in the bedding since that is a problem area? I do try to keep the stall that they all sleep in clean, but doesn't help. I am not sure what is safe and what's not, especially when we have goat kids.

12. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    I use the reusable fly traps from tractor supply . The replacement fly attractant costs about $5 for 2 tubes and I hang them high in the goat barn as well as about 2 feet off the floor. Works wonders for me.

My ducks do a horrible job at controlling the flies. So much that I hang 2 feeders in the duck/chicken house as well as 1 outside the pen gate (which is FULL of flies after only 4 days) and 1 outside the chicken door.

13. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Food grade Diatamaceos (sp) Earth is safe, its suppose to cut down on larvae. Folks also use Stall Dry, it helps control odor (ie fly attraction)

14. 2horses

2horses New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hobart, IN
    If you go with Diatomaceous Earth, it MUST be food grade. The other DE is for pools and can hurt your animals. I have to get my DE from a local grain mill as other places have the pool stuff.

15. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It must be working, not NEAR as many & its a good 50' from the problem area.

16. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Spaulding Labs has fly predators and they are wonderful little bugs. I had a horrible fly problem (boy they sure could bite) and now I rarely see a fly. They even worked on the face flies that used to drive the horses nutso!! I would recommend them to anyone :wahoo: