Too many kids?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Heart H Goat, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Heart H Goat

Heart H Goat New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    In the last 4 days Sheryl had 4 kids,Roxanne had 3,Vickie had 3 and Wanda had 4.Having only had twins in the past,I was wondering if it is common for the does to raise that many kids and do a good job of it? I currently have them all confined, they are accepting all the kids and they seem to be doing well.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Merv :whatgoat:

2. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    personally, when my family had dairy herd they were full size breeds -i dont know what breed yours are- and if they had more then two we took the third and bottled it from the start. only had one or two triplet kiddings though. wish i could help more!

3. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I have a standard lamancha doe that isn't due for another 2 months. She's bigger than my doe's due any day now, last year she had triplets is what I'm told. This will be my first year kidding with her and I'm so worried she has quads in there.

What breed do you have? I've seen a lot of people having 3 and 4 kids out of their nigerians. I would say just watch and if you see one not getting as much or looking a bit thin then I would offer a bottle. You could supplement a bottle to all of them if you were worried and let them nurse the rest of the time. That's what we would do when we were raising dogs, if one looked thin or the pups just weren't getting enough we would bottle the pups once or twice a day and let momma take care of them the rest of the day.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I do what Amy does. Somebody is bound to get knocked off the teat its usually the weakest one.
    Keep an eye on the bellies & supplement if you need to while leaving them with mom, they will still get some from her.
    The smallest/weakest will most likely remain small for a couple months but look out, when they start eating hay & grain by weaning time will be just as big as the others. :wink:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree...

I watch them and feel their tummy's... I supplement feed the ones that aren't getting enough........ so far though all my Does that have trips are handing them just fine.... you have to keep an eye out for the multiple kids... :wink:

6. Heart H Goat

Heart H Goat New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for your advice.My goats are Boer crosses,if I can figure out how to post pics I will.I have read some folks claim the milk re placers are not very good.They have a recipe using whole cows milk plus other ingredients.Any opinions on that subject?
    Thank you All.
    Merv

7. EstellaMA

EstellaMA New Member

Pour 2 cups out of a gallon of whole milk. To the remaining amount in milk jug add a can of condensed milk and 1 cup buttermilk or kefir.

I was told it is better than the formulas if you don't have access to goat's milk. Second year I've used it and they seem good on it.