The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i am new here, and full of dumb questions...so for reference we'll call this dumb question #1.

Is it possible to overdose a goat on ivomec plus dewormer ( injectible)?

The reason i ask is i was told by my wife who is new to goats also (really not passing the blame, just sharing the embarrassment) that she read on here to dose 1 cc per 10 lbs. so thats what i did. Our 50ish pound female got a 5cc dose. Just now i read its actually more like 1 cc per 20 lbs. I know its also better to overdose instead of underdose, but at which point is too much worm medicine harmful?

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Luckily Ivomec is one of those that you can get away with an accidental high dose. The Ivomec Plus is dosed at 1cc per 30 lbs orally and regular Ivomec is dosed at 1cc per 20 lbs orally

·
Killer_goat
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woohoo! I got lucky... Now im just kickin myself in the rear for wasting a quarter bottle of wormer. Oh well, i dont mind making mistakes; its making the same mistake twice that really grinds my coffee...thanks for the prompt reply. :D

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
One time I was doing Ivomec horse paste and the keeper on the plunger came loose. I ended up giving a 70lb kid a 1200lb horse dose. Never fazed her a bit.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yeah, ivermectin is safe at something like 10X the recommended dosage according to what I've read.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Welcome to Goat Spot, :D
Ivomec and ivomec plus injectable are 1 cc per 40# when injecting ..again..pretty harmless if given too much

·
Registered
174 Posts
One time I was doing Ivomec horse paste and the keeper on the plunger came loose. I ended up giving a 70lb kid a 1200lb horse dose. Never fazed her a bit.
That is exactly what happened to me yesterday but only a dose for 500lb I've been freaking out until I read this post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts