Too Small!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RowdyKidz, Sep 5, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Two of my does were born last May. I had been planning on breeding them this Fall, but noticed that they were much smaller than a doe that was born in Jan of 2007!

Is there anything that I could maybe give them to be ensured that they are grwoing properally? I am drawing a total blank! (It's been a LONG 24 hours!!!)

Thanks

(Oh, and sorry if this isn't posted in the correct section. I apologize I am just half dead of lack of sleep.)

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tara, is it at all possible that the lines with these two little girls could be smaller than the other doe? I would have to say that it's up to you, and if you do breed them, a small buck would be best as you already know. And as I am positive that you know this already, trying ti increase the nutrition sometimes just makes pygmies fat with no new growth :?

I am curious though as I saw a few pygmies in the local fair that were like microscopic! And they had kids on them! These girls were 3 and 5 years old and could not have been more than 14 inches tall :shocked: I'd be really paranoid even with breeding them at that size...scary. Seems that around here even if I wanted to, I would not be able to find a good solid pygmy as they are being bred smaller than they need to be.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to assume that was a type-o for the date? figuring that you said you were tired.

as to them growng --- some goats grown slower then others. as Liz said are these does out of different lines then you are use to using? were they out of Triplets or quads?

try adding a creep feeder and see if that helps

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Actually they were both out of twins. The one doe (Sparkle) is small, I kinda figured she would be since her mom was little, but her brother has grown so much more than her.

And I own the other doe's half brother, and he is alot bigger than her! And her parents were normal sized.

Liz: I know what you mean, I saw these tiny little dainty ones that didn't even look like Pygmies!

I think I may just give them another year to develop. :shrug: I was kind of looking forward to seeing their kids this spring, but I don't want any kidding complications.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am always open to new ideas. :)

Thanks!