The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 5 new born goats at the sale barn on march 13 and I took two of them to county fair weigh in about 3 weeks ago and the only weighed 18 lbs I feed them unlimited show goat chow and hay what should I do to help them gain weight quicker?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What kind of goats are they? Are you raising them for a market show? A good internal and external parasite treatment might be a good idea for starters. I use Ivermectin Pour on for cattle at a rate of about 5 ml on a 50 lb. goat. Young weak goats are often plagued with parasites which further drags them down.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Oh dear...we need pics, of course. But, I agree on the deworming. And, I always suspect cocci in young goats. I use Baycox for those buggers, but, you can probably find Sulmet at your feed store. Are they eating well? I would consider some Bo-Se, you can get the gel, it's in a tube. Are they utd on vaccinations? And, a shot of B-complex never hurt anybody!

Good luck...what breed did you get?

·
1,524 Posts
How long did you keep them on milk? The longer and higher amount of milk they get, the bigger and faster they will grow.

Does the show goat chow have a cocciostat in it? (it should say medicated on the bag). If not, change to a meat goat grower. That has a better formula for growth, plus most of them are medicated to prevent cocci. I have dairy goats, but my kids are given meat goat grower starting at 1 week of age to nibble on. They grow like moose! Even though they are dairy, the local livestock dealer calls and begs for my bucklings because they are growthy and very "meaty" because of the way they are raised. I get top dollar for my buck kids.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
If they are standards, then no matter what breed they are, 18 pounds for 10 weeks old is unacceptable. Yes, I would also think coccidiosis is playing a role in this. Pictures would be much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts