Too steep in the rump?

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by NDgoatlove, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:52 PM.

1. NDgoatlove

NDgoatlove New Member

Wednesday
    This is my new buckling and I'm wondering if he's too steep in the rump. He's still shy and skiddish so I haven't been able to get any good pictures. I love everything else about him but the rump and he seems to be a bit over at the knees as well. Any and all opinions are welcome.

Attached Files:

catharina likes this.
  2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    He does seem a bit steep. NDs often are though.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    SouthCentralKY, USA
    I think if he were set up he would not look as steep as he does in your photo. I also think the rump is nice and long. I like long rumps.

I don't know what is meant by over at the knees. I'm still learning.

I think he is very nice.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    What's it look like when he's walking
    And how wide is it ?

5. NDgoatlove

NDgoatlove New Member

Wednesday
    He walks and moves nicely and is nice and wide in the hind end. Both sire and dam are champions so I'm not worried about it but more wanting to learn more.

6. IHEARTGOATS

IHEARTGOATS Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Zebulon, NC
    Not sure when the picture was taken, but their rumps get steeper when they are rutting.

mariarose likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He seems to be standing weird like a bit of a squat and his tail is down, cannot judge if he is steep or not with that photo, wouldn't be fair.

8. NDgoatlove

NDgoatlove New Member

Wednesday

Really?! I never knew that!! Makes complete sense because I went out this morning and he looks alot better. He was in a pen with 10 other bucks and they were all in rut. I have one doeling in heat but he seems to have calmed down since I got him. He looks like my other bucks now. Thank you for that information!

9. Ranger1

Ranger1 Active Member

Sep 1, 2014
    He's looking exactly like my buck is right now, in rut. Hunched which makes his normally flat rump steep, and looking scruffy and needing copper.
    Can't tell from that picture whether or not he naturally has a steep rump, especially since he's scared and that can make them stand weird too...