The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tell if a doe is too thin to breed? She is in heat today and I was really hoping to breed her on this heat. I don't know how much she weighs, but you can feel her ribs pretty easily. She is a Nigerian Dwarf.
She is on free choice alfalfa, wormed, and on grain. (Currently oats, calf manna, and sunflower oil until I can add barley to the mix. Sunflower oil has 14 grams of fat per teaspoon and she is getting 2 teaspoons.) Should I go ahead and breed her?

·
4,328 Posts
Oooo..that's a tough one. Does she eat really well? I'd say, if she is healthy and eating well you could work to bulk her up during early pregnancy ... I know how hard it is to wait when breeding time comes! Good luck!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes she eats well. What mostly concerns me is A) the kids dragging her down and B) our winters are harsh. I mean, I have 4 months to bulk her up, but still.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Well, since they are kind of a dairy breed, you should be able to feel her ribs, but not see them. I'd say go ahead and breed her, and just continue putting weight on her the first 3 months into pregnancy, cut back the 4th month,and no grain the 5th month until about a week from kidding.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Yes she eats well. What mostly concerns me is A) the kids dragging her down and B) our winters are harsh. I mean, I have 4 months to bulk her up, but still.
Is she nursing kids right now?

·
Super Moderator
14,780 Posts
Also keep in mind basically the first four months sue can gain weight. And when the kids are born you can pull one or all. Its your call go with what pops in your head first yes or no. You can also start bumping her up now and catch her the next heat. Its hard to say with out looking at her but I have bought very thin does....ones I would never guess were bred and popped kids out. I just made sure the whole family had all they could eat and did great.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd still breed her and grain her. Or like Jessica said, wait till next month so she has a bit more weight on her and then breed her
Ok. I will put her in with the buck today. Hopefully I didn't miss standing heat. She has thick white discharge, so she should be able to take today, right?
I would like to breed her on this heat because my other Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY goat will be bred sometime around the 7th, and my Boer doe will be bred soon too so I just kinda want to breed them all at the same time.

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
We could... But they are! :p lol! How are they 'kinda' a dairy breed?!
I would say they are "kind of" a dairy breed just like Nubians, they milk well but can also be used as a meat animal since they tend to naturally be on the chunky side.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,461 Posts
I would say they are "kind of" a dairy breed just like Nubians, they milk well but can also be used as a meat animal since they tend to naturally be on the chunky side.
Yah.. I get that I guess... But technically.. ANY goat can be duel purpose... IMO Nigies are just as much a Dairy breed as any of the others..
That is just a pet peeve of mine... :lol:

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sydney, i'd go ahead and breed her now. Since she's weaned her kids and is now settled in with your crew...you should start seeing her pick up weight fairly quickly.
She does seem to have gained a bit of weight which is good. Hopefully adding the sunflower oil will help with weight gain.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol! I have never had a goat with trips before. ALL twins.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.