Too Young ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Excalibur1, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    So I have a Kiko/Boar cross buckling a twin ... 3 weeks old. He isn't gaining weight like he should, walks with a hunch and past few days eating a lot of grass. His Dam last year had Triplets and rejected feeding one and the other 2 are now yearlings and small compared to the others we have. She doesn't produce a lot of milk. Tried getting a temperature but both digital thermometers we have now don't work even with a battery change. Trying to find one right now is impossible ... Brought him in the house to make sure that he is warm enough and he is resting comfortably.
    He seems OK but just wanted some advice about maybe giving him a SQ shot of Thiamine HCI to maybe help him out. Mine is 500mg from the vet and he gave me dosing @ .75 ml per 100#. This little guy is just 10#7oz so would anyone suggest giving it to him and dosage @ about .10 ml ... Very small amount in my syringe ... Comments

2. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    I don't have direct advice on Thiamin, but it sounds as though he is hungry and potentially dealing with some coccidia burden.
    While I think thiamin will help, I don't think it will provide long term solutions.

And I would personally not breed the dam again if he is indeed hungry.

3. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    Wife and I were just talking about not breeding her again ...:ty:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thiamine dose is fine.

Can you get a fecal for worms and cocci in case?

Check his lower inner eyelid, for anemia.

Also, we need a temp on him to know if he has pneumonia ect.
    Very important, if you have a regular thermometer, please do that.

If mama doesn't have enough milk we usually supplement feed some, if possible, but, may not take a bottle now.

Moers kiko boars and Excalibur1 like this.
  5. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    Thanks for the info .....
    I will try and get another thermometer tomorrow while in town. We took him back out a few hours ago and just coming in the house. He was out in the pasture with mom and sister and both were nursing. I will see about getting a fecal done also. Checking eyelid as in pink not white ? He doesn't seem seriously sick ... Just a bit off from the rest .... We have 14 kids between 1 and 3 weeks old.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A temp tells us a lot on how to treat.

Checking eyelid, yes, is it, pale pink white, or good dark red?
    Compare it to another goat.

7. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    This is one time I would be tempted to try Fortified Vitamin B instead of Rx. strength Thiamine. That would take some serious math to calculate the correct dose if .75 ml/100# and you have a 10# kid. One tenth of .75 ml would need to be converted to units and use an insulin syringe, preferably the 50 unit size so you can actually read the markings.

Excalibur1 likes this.
  8. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    Ok so I am back to this issue again. Ordered a new thermometer as the panic has made it impossible to find one. Temp taken yesterday and today ... 101.6 & 102.4, just got back from vet and fecal is negative for parasite or worm issues. Eyelids are pink.
    He has developed diarea the last 2 days. We are giving him to drink a water,molasses, baking soda and cloves mixture to keep him hydrated. He is now just 4 weeks and has gained almost 4#. We watch him nurse and he is eating grass ... I have given him 2 shots of thiamine so far. I am almost thinking that he may have some development issues ? Any other Ideas ? Thank You for your help

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Molasses can give loose stools. Are you bottle feeding him?

Excalibur1 and toth boer goats like this.
  10. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    No he is nursing and drinks from the bowl

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree about the molasses.

If he is on a lush new spring grasses, that can indeed cause scouring or loose stools.
    Don't allow him out as long in the pasture.
    He will have to be slowly introduced to it. A little time out and then gradually increase time out.
    Feeding a little bit of hay before doing so helps, so they do not eat as much out in the pasture.

Is his stool green?
    If so, it is the lush pasture causing it.

Was the fecal for worms and cocci?

12. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    Thanks for the response ... He is done with the molasses mixture ... Won't touch it now but I believe that he learned to drink water at least using it. The stool seems to have firmed up today so hopefully that is it. The stool was black. They told me that they checked for coccidia first and then checked for worms and all was good.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad all is good.

Give loose salt and minerals free choice for cattle with copper and selenium in it. The salt will make him thirsty. ;)

Sweetlix meat maker is a good one.
    But may be harder to get.

Wind and rain at tractor supply without the fly control works well.

14. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    Thanks ... He now seems to be getting better each day. I do have Wind and Rain free choice as well as a mineral salt block ... Loose salt also ? How about baking soda ... I have seen some also do free choice with that ... Definitely the diarrhea / scours have stopped ... Clean rear yesterday and today ...

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No baking soda free choice, only when you see a little bit of bloating.

Salt blocks are no good.
    It is rough on their tongues and they still do not get what they need out of it.
    Loose salt and minerals is best for them. ;)

16. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

He needs a creep feeder. He can't make up the lack with spring grass especially when spring grass causes metabolic problems in itself.
    Give him a place adults can't get in and give him/them a smorgasbord of nice things to eat. It will make a great difference.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  18. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    ... We keep a mixture of alfalfa pellets, oats and black sunflower seeds for them ... they are not overly eager about it ... What else would you suggest ?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A good 16 % protein grain, would be good.
    Purina goat grower is what I use.

You can add the oats and black sunflower seeds to it. Do not feed a lot of BOSS.

Alfalfa hay is good for them as well, if you could get some.
    Alfalfa pellets are good, but not as good as the hay version in my opinion.

20. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Attica, Ohio
    I will look for something like that next time in town ... Thank You