Took LGD to vet - update :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by getchagoat (Julie), Nov 15, 2007.

1. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Brad found Badger, our bigtger Grt. pyr lying down after he was doing some work on the tractor. Could get up on front paws but not his back ones. He picked his back end up and then it went back down. By the time I got in touch with the vet, he was doing somewhat better. I tried to take his temp but with all his hair, that didn't go well and it came up 96. We brought him in the house (util rm) while waiting to meet the vet. He was so sweet and calm with the surroundings we knew he didn't feel good. He acted better at the vet's and he concluded he did something to cause swelling. So he's on antiinflamatories (sp?) for 5 days. This is the same vet that treated Abe last year (we lost him). He is very good with the animals and his wife and son were there. We go to church with them. So, it's always comforting to go there. Anyway, got him home and he limped after getting out of the truck. We hope it was just too rough of play with his daughter and he'll be fine in a few days. Vet said he's in real good condition going into winter. I'm going to check out Qtip, his daughter Sat. and she how her body compares.

Just wanted to share, nothing big.

2. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh I hope he'll get better soon! That would scare me sooooo bad! He'll be in my prayers!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goodness that is strange. Glad you have a course of treatment for him.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Thanks. Reading back through my post, it makes it sound like Badger isn't normally sweet. Quite the contrary. He likes people alot, he is just scared when you try to do anything medical related with him since his previous owners didn't give him shots or anything. He is a gentle giant with the prettiest big ole head. He kept laying it on our arms on the console of the truck. :)

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    LGD's are such big dogs aren't they?

I remember when you got those two. I am sure Qtip is huge now

6. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Qtip was 24 lb. when we got them - basically a little fur ball. Badger was 96 lb. at 3 yrs old in January. He weighed in at 109.8 tonight. 14 lbs in less than a year for an adult is alot. Qtip is taller than him but not nearly as thick and is just over a year old. I'll get a weight on her when her rabies is due, but I bet she's 70 lb. Her head has started getting bigger, too. Yeah!! I'm a sucker for big heads.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goodness gracious!

I like small heads ;)

8. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Badger wouldn't get up this morning. Had to go find him and he was in a little nook between big rocks and trees. Brad is at the vet with him now. Please say a little prayer. Need to get off the phone line in case he calls. I'm here since 2 goats are being delivered this morning. :(

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh no Julie I hope this is nothing to serious. Praying for Badger now

10. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'll be think of you both this morning too- I hope his problem is better soon.

11. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Badger is back home. His temp was 98 (should be 102) and he was able to walk in the vet's office just like Thursday night. Both times this has been after he has warmed up. They gave him a shot of Dex hoping he'll eat. We'll keep giving him the Rimadyl and are keeping him in the house to keep him warm and so we can watch if he is eating, throwing up, etc. He's snoozing now. I'm going to research and try to contact Candace from GW and see if she's experienced this before. Thanks for the prayers, guys.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks for taking time to update us. I am still praying that you can find out what is causing this issue.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm praying he'll get better, good luck!

14. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    thanks guys. Just got back again from the vet's. Blood sample showed kidneys not working up to par, probably from dehydration. He's now getting fluids and the vet will call us this evening. He hadn't moved much since the earlier vet visit and Brad tried to stand him up and he fell. Got him outside and he walked sideways. I just cringed. got to vet and didn't walk great, but it wasn't crooked. He acts like he's drugged up. I asked if he played too hard and slipped a disk would it do this and he said no. Will update later tonight.

15. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    :pray: for badger. hope the vet calls you tonight with good news.

16. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers coming your way. :(

17. getchagoat (Julie)

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    He's doing better. :) Vet called a few minutes ago. He gave him 3L of fluids and he ate a little and drank 1/2 a bowl of water and peed. It is concentrated. He rechecked the blood and one of the 2 kidney areas is back to normal. The other came down a little but not enough. He'll spend the night and I'll get a call in the morning. When he brought him back in from the bathroom, he was actually alert and looking around. A cat was walking in front of him earlier today and he didn't even look up. He had no energy. So we don't know if this is the original problem, but it explains why he growled/moaned a little when Brad picked him up this morning. I will be able to sleep and hope he continues to improve. Thanks for all the support.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that is a least some good news to go on.

Does the vet have any ideas on what caused this?

19. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I'm so glad to hear he's doing better! We have a rott here whose kidneys are not working properly, it's just a matter of time for him now, and I don't think he's got much longer. He hardly eats and he's sooo skinny. He's not even 6 years old yet, I just hate seeing him this way, but all we can do is make him as comfortable as possible. I'm just so glad to hear Badger is doing better, after going through this with Lamar when you first mentioned kidneys I was really worried for him.

20. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Sending you best wishes and doggie hugs from all of us here.