Took one of our does for "driveway" breeding...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Dec 14, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Well, one of our proven girls (She had twins in the past at her prior home) came into heat this weekend, so we took her to a friend of ours who has a nice buck. They liked each other and everything seemed to work out. She stayed in with him for several hours and everything went well :love: ...

What are our chances of her being pregnant? I noticed yesterday she was still showing signs of heat but we had a full schedule and couldn't take her back....I'm keeping my fingers crossed... :shrug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She might or might not settle -- depends if she was ovulating when bred

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DID you ever see them do the deed?

Also, just because they are bred does not mean they stop flagging right then. They will stop acting like they are in heat usually within 24 hours because they are done with their heat cycle.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    They ovulate at the end of their heat, the semen is still 'alive'(can't think of the word :p ) for a certain amount of time after they are bred.

5. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    We actually saw her stand for the buck at least 7 times-and we weren't out there the whole time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She still showed signs of heat yesterday-but has stopped now...here's to hoping for our first kids in May!!

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Seven times ...I would think she has a good chance of being breed. Time will tell !