The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of three of my kids from this year...they just turned 8 months old. I had them clipped and washed from the last show we went to, so I decided it would be a good day to get pictures! :)

Shekinah's Sweet Wenneveria

Shekinah's Star Of Destiny

And Shekinah's Dancing In Moonlight

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Very nice pics!! You have some of the most beautiful Boer goats I've ever seen! :D

I'm curious. . . . the doe in the middle, her teats look "normal" but the other two look to have "extras". What kind of teats are they supposed to have or they are breeding for now? In Africa, they have the four teats, correct? Are breeders trying to get to just two teats or are four teats okay but all must be functional? I'm just curious. . . . . :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys!

To answer your question Olivia, in Boer goats you can have a certain amount of extra teats, 4 functionals are fine, as are 2 functional and 2 non functional. I have several that have just 2 clean teats as well, and in watching them raise their kids...I haven't seen a difference in the two teated versus 4, the kids figure things out just fine. :) If you check out the ABGA (abga.org) website they have diagrams for what is acceptable and what is not.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pheonix08, I use a prong collar, which gives me most control. And then it's just practice, they have been shown numerous times since they were 2 months old, so they are used to posing for the judge.

Thanks Crissa! And yup, Destiny has certainly got the most attitude. :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you FunnyRiverFarm and Hailee!

It's my sisters camera, she has gotten to be quite professional with her photos...I'm really glad I have her to take them for me!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
WOW, Very impressive goats.

OK, now my daughter has shown for years, but to get a goat to stand like that in the pasture? Ours do it in the show ring. What is the trick?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much everybody!

Lori, well not really any tricks that I know of... :shrug: they were just behaving well I guess. Although I did put a collar on them and bring them out of the pen...so the other goats wouldn't get in the way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts