Top 5 items in First-Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I've done some research into goat first-aid kits, and it's a little overwhelming!

Can you help me focus on what's important? If you had to pick your top 5 most important first-aid kit items, what would they be?

2. Honestly, I have to tell you there are far more then five things to keep on hand. Personally, we use most here, vitamins, penicillin, warmer, syringes, and iodine. Hope that helps but in time you will need much more I promise.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It IS overwhelming!

Some of the things you build up over time.

Iodine is a must for kidding season. I always keep on hand plenty of needles & sryinges, a bottle of Pen G, BoSe and wormers especially at kidding time.
    And biomycin. Just a brief list.
    This year I added Vet Rx & activated charcoal. Have never needed them the past 5 yrs but you never know.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    There are sooooo many things to keep on hand.

1) Thermometer
    2) Pen G
    3) Bio-Mycin 200
    4) Wormers ( a clear and a white)
    5) Iodine for cleaning wounds....
    6) I like to keep a blue kote or some type of spray bandage/antibacterial spray on hand as well
    7) Goatade... I use it for everything... new kids, does after kidding, stress from heat, downed goats.... It has never let me down yet.

There are a lot more things.... but to start with I'd say those are the MOST important.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'll try to give you different ones than listed, but there is a lot of things I like to have on hand. Most already listed, I have on hand.

LA200
    activated charcoal
    small bag of electrolytes (from Jeffers)
    cocci medications...di methox, baycox, etc.
    liquid dewormer (also from Jeffers)
    BoSe vaccination

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    How do you guys get BoSe to keep on hand? My vets won't give it to me.... thiamine either so I can only keep B Compex on hand. Do you order yours from somewhere? I tried Vet-Serv but they wanted $50 for shipping!!!! :shocked:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have a good livestock vet. He's been to our place numerous times so knows I need BoSe available especially since I have lots of goats.

$50 for shipping is ridiculous! That's crappy your vet won't let you get some! I seem to always be needing it.

8. Yea, I have so much stuff, in fact I think soon I will be getting another fridge as I am taking over the kitchen door. LOL I just gave you what I have needed the most here. Knock on wood, we have not had a huge need for a lot of other things but use these things quite a bit or when needing more then the basics these were the extras that saved us. I have a huge list though. Jeffers is great for supplies if you are getting a lot. The reason is after 75.00 or so you get free shipping etc. Just another tip if you are getting a lot and need things that yo local co-op might not have. Hope that helps.

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    MyFainters I have an on going working relationship with my vet. She will provide me with just about anything,
    When I started out before I even brought them home I set up a consulation that was free. So you see my bases were covered ahead of time.
    Even if they wont sell you say a whole bottle of BoSe at present you can ask for the #of doses you will need all drawn up & ready to go. It costs more in the long run if you have alot of goats but what say it's worth a start?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I get my RX from this place http://www.vetserv-usa.com/ you have to register with your herd name and then its legal. YOu must give REAL information including your home address and a phone number or they will not approve your application.

Then you use the higher pricing for stuff (the cheeper pricing is for vets) they provide the RX for you to be able to purchase the RX items.

11. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Looks like I need to move to WA your vets are nice up there! LOL I did just find a new vet though.... I'll have to try asking him. :) Thanks and sorry for taking up the post!!!! :wink:

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Yeah but they were going to charge me almost $50 for shipping. :( I was soooo excited until I got to checkout!!!! :shocked:

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I am kinda fanatical about bandages..so I always have bandage material on hand along with gobs of other stuff..I also have skin glue, bleed stop, and suture...Rescue remedy is a must have as well..Love the new rescue pet from Dr.Bach !!

14. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Wow - this is all terrific. Thanks to everyone who commented so far... Keep 'em coming! ;)

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  16. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Things I would never be without: Thiamin, Nuflor, Banamine, Norcalciphos, Biomycin, thermometer, needles and syringes, baking soda. B complex, iodine, chlorhexadine and Ivermectin. I know that's more than five, but when you have a goat emergency, you need the stuff now.

17. lilapeas

lilapeas New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    The Top Five Items In a First Aid Kit

1. Alcohol Swabs
    2. Bandage
    3. Paper and Pencil
    4. Antiseptic Wipes
    5. Ace Bandage