Top 5

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by monstersateme, Mar 23, 2011.

1. monstersateme

monstersateme New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    NW Oregon
    In your personal opinion, what are the top 5 things you should know if you are thinking about getting meat goats? (Not to sell meat to others but if you had one or two goats for your own family)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I believe in the 5 M's (I made them up myself!) copyright... ;)

muscling
    milk
    mothering
    minimal parasites
    multiples

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Besides the quality of the herd I wanted to start with, I'd want to know if I was going to butcher myself or have it done elsewhere. If I was going to have them butchered elsewhere, I'd want to know what the charge is for my area. I just paid around $60 to end up with 30 lbs of ground goat meat. At $2 a pound, plus raising costs, I could have just bought hamburger. Know what I mean? So we're going to slaughter ourselves or sell "on the hoof" to meat buyers in our area. There's no shortage in them.
    Our local butcher also doesn't dispose of the remains so we have to pick up the head and organs with our packaged ground meat. Yuck!

4. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    maintaining weight while nursing multiples
    handle worms well/overall stay healthy with some worms
    have multiple kids
    how fast will they grow from birth to slaughter weight
    not bad about trashing my fences :veryangry:

one other thing i have been thinking of for meat for myself is meat to bone ratio.

I have been thinking of getting some of the myotonics to kill myself because of the ratio.

5. Jed

Jed New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Bugtussle, TN
    Ha, I know what you mean. I'm getting ready to get rid of my Boer Billy, this is one of the reasons.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I love that.... :thumb: