The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is my first injury ive seen in my goats. My little doe manage to rip a bit of her lower eyelid of and its dangling. I think the best thing to do is ether leave it be or snip it of. Not sure but can i put triple antibiotic in the eye? also what to do about flys? I think its done bleeding but fresh and there is blood in her eye from her wound. I worry more about the flys then the wound itself. So i hope its ok to put it here.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the wound you cant really see it but there is a bit of flesh hanging. Its only a miner wound but i would like to treat it since its fly season

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd check with the vet and see if you can get antibiotic ointment or if you have a leftover tube from pinkeye that would work too

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I had a lamb do this..Upper lid ...I left it..and it healed..a little neospordin will hlep keep the flies off..but I would snip it..just let it heal ;)

Sorry should read I would NOT snip it :D

·
14,615 Posts
I wouldnt try to snip it, it will dry up & maybe you can just yank it off when it's hanging by a thread.
The eye itself looks good from what I can see.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Not sure how it happened guessing the fence. I've decided to leave it alone tell am.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I dont know how Mary Ellen ( our dorper ewe) ripped her either..she has a "v" shape piece missing but it healed up just fine..

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really flipped out when I seen it the first time blood in the eye and running down the cheek. I'm glad it don't look as bad as I thought. Guessing I seen it right after she did it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's more expensive, but in the end, It's probably safest to let the vet look at that. It's like a hangnail; If the goat got that little flap of skin caught on something, it could tear, and then you have an even BIGGER problem. It is a minor injury, but it's around the eye, so It may be a tad harder to treat. Plus, being an open wound, you need to think about infection; Your vet might have an ointment to put on it while it heals. As for the flies, don't use fly spray; it'll just irritate the wound & eye. An expensive way to take care of the flies would be a fly-repelant collar. Or, you could go to your local farming/agriculture store and purchase their smallest size fly mask. But, (as a temporary thing) until you get your goat checked by the vet, try one of those big bandaids and put some neosporin on it; just keep that on the wound, (even if it annoys the goat) until you can get help.
Hope it all works out!
Katie

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really think it will be fine without a vet call. If he was not an hr away i would take her. But it seams to be healing fine i put ointment on it last night and today. The fly's seam to be leaving it alone. Might go get a mask just to be sure they dont bug her.

·
2,203 Posts
I agree with what has been said. I personally would snip it so it's not dangling AS far, but not all the way. Looks great. Fresh clean wound. Squirt a little penicillin in her eye every day, and it should clear up just fine. Thank goodness of such a minor injury! Could've been MUCH worse (and I have seen these!). Last week we had a cow get a hook from a stall stuck through her eyelid and hooked under her socket. Phew! Terrible!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts