Torn ear

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    My nosy little doe today managed to push against the gate, loosening the pole enough to push it past the latch and squeeze herself through. On the way out, she must have caught her ear on something, because it was torn!

I cleaned it the best I could with her squirming and being a grouch. Its torn in two or three places and droops now, but it stopped bleeding fairly quickly. I did manage to get some Cut-Heal first-aid spray for livestock (covering her face and eyes to prevent in getting there). What else can I do for it?

I feel so bad, her ears were so pretty and now one will be all ragged and drooping. :(

On a side note, the post was reset, and the gate now has two more latches that are impossible to push open.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH now she has character.

I had a wether that took a bite out of one of my does ears. The whole bottom of her ear was gone. I tried to clean it but she would not let me get near it at all. It healed just fine.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think you have done all you can. Aspen only has half an ear from the day I got her at 3 months.

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you for the reassurance. I figured there wasn't much I could do, I was just disappointed that I allowed her to hurt herself.

Here she is, doesn't seem to bother her in the least.

[​IMG]

Please ignore the mess! :oops: