Torn vulva

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, May 14, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    After Pickles dropped the placenta I noticed she tore pretty bad. I sort of expected this due to his size. Is there anything else I need to do other than the prep H? There are actually 2 tear's, one is horizontal across both sides of her vulva and the other is vertical going up toward the anus. The last one being only about a quarter inch long. The ones going across her vulva are almost an inch on both sides. He weighs in at 8 lbs but hes got a BIG head and really long body.

ETA to correct weight. Got a fish scale thats a whole lot more accurate than the bathroom one.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would take her... to the vet or call the vet... to see if they should stitch her up....I am sorry she tore.... :hug:

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will call the vet as soon as he gets back from lunch. She's starting to swell a bit but it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. She is super interested in her baby.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Got ahold of the vet and he suggested giving 2 cc's penicillin and a topical antibiotic applied to the vulva, sound right? 2 cc's doesn't sound like its enough for an 80lb goat.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I go by 1cc per 10 to 20 lbs. on Penicillin

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do the 1cc per 10 lbs...and she will heal, just keep the area as clean as you can, a smear of a triple antibiotic salve will help keep the after delivery ick from sticking to her as well as help the tears.