Total Disappointment; We lost Choppers yesteday

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Mar 15, 2010.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    After being happy getting the newborns last Wed, we lost Choppers yesterday afternoon. She gave birth on Wed and got Mastitis (sp?). Vet came on Friday (48 hrs after birth) and showed us the bad teet and gave her two anti-biotics ans steroid. After a continuation of no food/water after 96 hrs from birth, the vet's partner met us and tried to give fluids. Her blood pressure was low and totally dehydrated/weak. Lathargic may be a good work to describe her. Somewhere between the 3rd and 4th liter of fluid, she stopped breathing. Between the 1st and 2nd liter, she was active and fighting the restraints we were using to give her the fluids in the back of our truck. We were convinced for a while there that everything was going to be ok.

Is it normal to give a 150lb over a gallon of fluid or more? What else could have been done? Seeing as we had the vets involved at 48 hr and 96 hr past birth, we feel like good owners, but our human kids are devastated as they were watching as she took her last breath. This was their first goat, but at least they have two of her babies and the doe we will keep.

Is Mastitis common?? I've heard other people give them Penicillin and don't even get a vet involved. We were not sure what to do.

Just looking for advice on how to handle next time. Thanks in advance, MODAY on behalf of Choppers

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there was probably more going on then just mastitis.

did she retain any of the afterbirth?

Mastitis can kill them yes, but it tends to be with gangrene mastitis

im really sorry you lost her :hug: its real hard when kids are involved too.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry for your loss :hug: You did everything right, you are not a "bad" goat owner :hug:
    I agree with Stacey on this, Mastitis is a nasty occurrance but there seems to be other factors involved here that caused her to go down so fast, so very sorry that you are dealing with losing her....it makes it that much worse when there are kids involved, my heart goes out to you and your family :grouphug:

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I am very sorry for your loss-my condolences to your family at this most difficult time. I do not have experience with mastitis or dehydration requiring fluids, so I can't comment on the treatment she received. I am thinking of you all.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh no...so sorry she didn't make it :( You did everything you knew to help...sometimes they just don't make it. :hug:

The only other thing I can think of that you could have done was give her Nutridrench and B vitamins to try to stimulate her appetite and give her energy.

She could have had low calcium levels...but that seems like something the vet would have checked for...A lot of times when goats become weak before or after kidding it is because they do not have enough calcium in their blood.

This could have all been a result of a massive mastitis infection...but as the others mentioned, it normally does not take a goat down so quickly...especially after they are already being treated with antibiotics.

There is a chance that the mastitis infection caused her to go off feed...and then being off feed and water might have caused some other metabolic problem that actually took her down.

If a goat is severely dehydrated (as it sounds like she was) then yes.

6. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I'm so so sorry for you and your family. You will be in my prayers today.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you lost your girl --- :cry:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She may of had internal injuries and possible internal bleeding undetected from kidding.....it can happen...but doesn't happen often...and may possibly be why she went down so fast..... even retaining afterbirth ...that soon after kidding ...doesn't kill a doe..that quickly... Mastitis as well .. kills slowly with no treatment......
    I am so sorry for your loss.... you did everything you could for her.... :( :hug:

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

10. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    My condolensces. :rose: Sorry I have no answers as to why Choppers did not respond to the treatment provided. You did all you could and she has blessed you w/two beautiful kids to carry on.

Deb Mc

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    So sorry you lost Choppers. :( :pray: for you and your family.

12. Seven Dwarfs

Seven Dwarfs New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Brush Prairie Wa
    I am so sorry about Choppers.

13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I am so sorry to hear about Choppers.... :tears: Luckily, you still have her kids so that will help cheer up your kids (2 legged) I agree with everyone else... she must have had something else going on to have her go down so quickly. Did the vets do a necropsy?

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry. It is hard to know for sure with out a necropsy done, but if I was to guess, I would bet she had a torn uterus or something. Nothing you could of done. You did everything you could. She is watching down from above and watching over her baby.

15. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything you could. Your family and Choppers' kids will be in my prayers! Now the kids will have a guardian angel watching down over them for the rest of their lives...

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    There are so many different problems dealing with birthing. Ketosis is another one that's tough. Just when you think they are doing good, you lose them. :(