The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has used this for Coccidia? I was told only 1 treatment not 5 days. Is this safe got my goats for cocci treatment?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Yes its safe and effective. I still.use Toltrazuril one time at 10 days to 3 weeks old then booster as needed. If treating an active case booster is in 10 days. I booster after stressor such as severe storm, banding, moving to new home..ect. Some are using like a sulfa drug and giving every 21 days. Im afraid this will speed resistance.

Reactions: whitepackgoats

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
It should be stored below (30 c) 86 degrees but should not freeze. So as long as it's placed in an area of the frig where it doesn't freeze, the door perhaps, should be fine. (Somtimes stuff freeze in the way back of my old frig.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm new to goats, but Toltrazuril is the only thing I've used for cocci. Worked great for my boys. You dose once and then again in 10 days, but I've heard lots of people say that the second dose is unnecessary, so you might consult a vet about that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes its safe and effective. I still.use Toltrazuril one time at 10 days to 3 weeks old then booster as needed. If treating an active case booster is in 10 days. I booster after stressor such as severe storm, banding, moving to new home..ect. Some are using like a sulfa drug and giving every 21 days. Im afraid this will speed resistance.
Gosh, I wish people wouldn't do that (dose every 21 days). I don't know a lot about goats, but I DO have an extensive background in science... and the science here says that you can't generalize practices from one type of dewormer to another type unless experimental research suggests that you can (and it doesn't in this case). Agh!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I use toltrazuril when I can get it and it's great. I find that to be effective, I have to give an initial dose and then a second dose the next day. (I send in fecals to confirm that it has worked.) But I was using the stuff from horseprerace. Maybe the legit stuff from bayer is more effective with just a single dose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts