The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit concerned about a client's doe. She is a ff and huge with possibly twins. She took her to the vet for ultrasound and to get her updated on her shots last week. The vet guessed she was about 120 days, but not sure. What worries me is she said the doe is lethargic. She was suppose to be bred for April kids, but that is obviously wrong. She had her on Alfalfa, but has started her on grain rations with molasses per the vet..I have never dealt with toxemia and hope to never deal with it...don't we all....so any ideas?? Does it sound like toxemia to ya'all?? What can she do at this point to help her doe out??
I will be headed out there on Monday to re do hooves, and help her clip up the doe, but I am hoping to cut any problems off at the pass..
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Honestly the only way to truly tell if it's Toxemia or Hypocalcemia is to get her blood tested and see where her calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium levels are. Also you can buy Ketosis test strips that can test her urine for ketones, if she has them then it's probably pregnancy ketosis.

Treatment depends upon the severity.

Major thing is to improve the quality of the forage/hay, NOT the grain. Giving more grain will make things worse.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I agree with RunAround, toxemia will be worse if grain is changed/increased. Sometimes they will get swollen legs, stiffness, go off grain, or be lathargic/anemic seeming. I had a doe this year come down with toxemia, we gave 60 cc's of propelyene glycol 2xs a day for 5 days and she bounced back. Sometimes you can't honestly tell until it is too late though. I've had two come down with toxemia, one made it, but one was too far gone, so we sadly lost her:( Its not something to take lightly...If you even question they might have it, deff. call the vet or goat expert in your area (luckily, I have a goat dairy owner that is very knowledgable when I don't know the answer!)

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
agree with what ashley (runaround) said - but if you dont want to go to the length of testing, I would start giving her CMPK anyway, it will give her a huge boost.

make sure they are keeping her active, even if it means going out there and making her walk round the yard every couple of hours.

make sure she stays on her feed - a good balanced diet, hay along with the grain. she wont get any better if she isnt on high quality roughage to let her digest that grain.

good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone..I just called and she is doing great!! She said she is up and around, and is giving just a bit of grain, not too much too quick..with molasses..she is relieved, but still watching Maggie, so we'll see. I am so grateful she is open to getting her vetted!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts