Toxic Plant Help

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Itchysmom, Aug 22, 2010.

  1. Itchysmom

    Itchysmom New Member

    Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I have looked on fiasco's site and other sites on the web, but cannot find out if the Nanking cherry is poisenious or not. Does any one know? I have one and Bella went straight for it when I let them out. It is done having berries, leaves are still green. I do not want them eating it if it is!
     
  2. CrossCreekTX

    CrossCreekTX New Member

    356
    Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Probably ok if not wilted. If leaves wilt at all the cyanide levels can be pretty high.
     

  3. Mully

    Mully New Member

    408
    Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Found this ....Known hazards of Prunus tomentosa:
    Although no specific mention has been seen for this species, it belongs to a genus where most, if not all members of the genus produce hydrogen cyanide, a poison that gives almonds their characteristic flavour. This toxin is found mainly in the leaves and seed and is readily detected by its bitter taste. It is usually present in too small a quantity to do any harm but any very bitter seed or fruit should not be eaten. In small quantities, hydrogen cyanide has been shown to stimulate respiration and improve digestion, it is also claimed to be of benefit in the treatment of cancer. In excess, however, it can cause respiratory failure and even death.
     
  4. Itchysmom

    Itchysmom New Member

    Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you! I guess a bit won't hurt her then. I definetly would not let them eat the beries...birds would get mad! Is Prunus tomentosa a nanking cherry?
     
  5. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    anything with the name Cherry in it gets me worried. I wouldnt let her readily eat it but just watch her if she gets a hold of a leaf or two. When it comes to poisonous plants I dont mess around, lost 2 goats to them eating something poisonous. Very devastating to say the least!

    And a MUST is to have activated charcoal on hand. You do not want to be without it if they do eat something poisonous.
     
  6. CrossCreekTX

    CrossCreekTX New Member

    356
    Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Usually charcoal is good, but it doesn't work on cyanide. The treatment for that is nitrate.