toxoplasmosis

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Graffogefarms, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Well, the vet just called me, and the results are back from the lab. Toxoplasmosis, from Cats - ! At least since it is at the rented farm, and we get the hay from a guy down there, we know its not from our felines. 5 Aborted totally, 6 fetuses. My son is supposed to finish the bigger shed this weekend, (almost done with it)as they have to start bringing more in to kid.

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    How sad. This just lets me know no cats for me in my barn. Hope no more does will abort and things will chill out for ya.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I found out fixed male cat laying on my hay pile the other day. He seemed rather cozy and it concerned me but I wasnt sure if I should be or not. what do you think?

It must be a little bit of a relief to know what caused it. At least you know now that they are immune to it and won't abort because of that in the future.

How are the other does doing?

4. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Egads! My place is over run with cats. Time to thin out!! I never thought of this issue. Holy Goats, am I glad you posted this!!

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Stacey it is in their poop so when they poop in the bedding in barns that is the usual way it is spread from my knowledge.

6. Duchesse

Duchesse New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Before I bought my goats my neighbors cats used the sand from the base of a dismantled above ground pool as a litter box. The cats are no longer a problem in my yard, should I be concerned?

7. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    When we did the goat production course to have as few cats as possible and to make sure they were spayed/neutured. Even then it could be impossible to prevent as you always have the few that are not done or vaccinated.

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    what does vaccintaing and "fixing" have to do with the Toxoplasmosis? I am really curious about this subject..

9. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
  10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have cats and I have every since I have had goats. I have never had any trouble. I guess because they do not use the hay as a litter box, ( I hope). I could not imagine my place with out the cats. I would have so many mice and moles. I had TONS all over the place when i moved in here.

I am glad you have figured out what it was. I hope you have a very uneventful rest on the kidding season. :thumbup: :thumbup: Here to a season full of healthy baby does.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thank you Teresa for the info! This is something I have wondered about as well. One of my barn cats thinks the hay feeder is her bed.
    Both cats do their biz in muck piles outside the goat area. Last yr our fixed male would spray on clean bales of straw...yuck! But everyone kidded full term.

12. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms New Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    Thankfully, I know it wasnt my own cats - we have 5 outside, and 4 inside - 2 weegie, a coon and a coon mix from Queens Blvd. I know my cats here dont generally do their business on the hay, more likely the dog will when the bale gets lower! The hay we buy at the house here, is from a different source to what we buy at the farm. The hay we had at the farm was one we bought from a guy nearby who delivered it. At the house we have to borrow my dads trailer and ti cost 10 euros more.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We have cats and we've had cats for ever and I can't believe we've never had a case of toxoplasmosis. One of those things I guess :shrug:

Since you have had this once, from what I've read your does and their next generation of kids should be immune to this for a while.