tracing pedigrees

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 24, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I was planning on selling our togg doe after she kids but now I may keep her. I am not really sure how to do all the research but I can trace her pedigree all the way back to 1944. Is there any way to research all the individual names? orther than by looking on the adgagenetics site?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can google names and see what comes up but thats about it. You could go on a yahoo list like Togg Talk and ask if they have any old pictures of the animals in your does pedigree.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    My does Granddam has 5*M AR2002 LA2005, 2003 under her name. Are these her milk stars? Both Grandsires have B* by theirs. What do these mean?

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    5*M means that your does granddam is the 5th doe in her line(dam line) to get a star. AR stands for Advanced Registry, which is what they are when they get their milk star, she got hers in 2002. LA 2003, 2005 means that your doe's granddam was appraised(linear appraisal) in 2003 and 2005. Linear appraisal is a trait evaluation system used by breeders.

A buck gets a *B on is papers if 1) his dam was a *M and his sire was a *B; 2) if his dam has her *M and his sire's dam has her *M; or 3) if the dam has her *M and his sire has a +B. +B on a buck means that three of the bucks daughters from three different dams have earned their *M or two sons from two different dams have earned their +B.

A doe earns her *M usually through DHI tests, a doe has to milk a certain amount in a lactation to qualify for her star. They can also get them on one day tests, but it is much harder to get stars that way.

Sorry if that sounds confusing :)

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Confusing, huh????? :? I sorta, kinda, maybe, not exactly got what you said the first 5 times I read that :scratch: :scratch: . Maybe a few more will help. :idea: