Trailer advice please

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Suntoo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    I have 5 goats, mixed breed La Mancha, Boer/Nubian all with horns.
    They all get along, each knows where they stand in the hierarchy. But at home they have lots of room to get away from each other when they get irritated.
    I want a good trailer for them if I need to transport all of them at once.
    A dealer suggested that an enclosed trailer would be less stressful for them, being more quiet and a smoother ride.
    It sounds logical to me, but now I'm wondering how large it should be, and wonder how my noodle-heads will get along if they're enclosed.
    Will a 5x8 or 5x10 be sufficient?

Please help!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I think either would work. I have a 14' trailer and as soon as it gets moving they run to the front and lay down. So I don't think there will be any fighting going on. I would probably get the bigger one if there's any chance of getting more goats though ;)

3. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Is your 14' enclosed? How many goats do you transport at one time?

I can't imagine that I'll have more goats...I live in an RE zoned area within the city. So, I can have horses and goats, but restricted in the number.
    Of course, I didn't expect to have 5 either! :GAAH:

I hate to invest in an enclosed trailer and find that I have to argue with them to get inside. But safety and comfort for them would be a more important issue. I'm also nervous about hauling my first trailer of any kind.

Thank you for the help Jessica!
    Any more advice is appreciated! :pray:

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Either would work but I would get a 5x10. You definitely want enclosed. Then no matter the weather, you can transport.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I would get In closed as well, it's not totally air tight or anything, it's just a stock trailer but they seem more happy in that then the box thing I have in the back of my truck that is just made from panels. I've never really filled my trailer up before but I did just haul 14 head to the sale (13 were roughly 60lb kids) and they could have been kept in the front half of I needed to.

6. I can't remember how long our trailer is - it is a totally closed trailer with a double back door and a side door. My hubby made a center divider in it that can come out - and wire gates for each door so when we go to linear appraisal at another farm we can open the trailer doors and they are contained in a stall like place. He also put several vents in it and a couple of trailer windows up high. We put several stall mats in it to cover the wooden floor so it isn't slippery. If we open the doors they jump in - they like it. He opened it to air it out today and when I went by several where napping in it. It's not a livestock trailer - but like the ones you see contractors using. It was pretty reasonable also.

7. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    That sounds just like the ones I looked at!
    Cargo trailers with vents added like in a horse trailer!
    I really like the idea of the side door too.
    Do you think a 5x10 is suitable for 5 grown goats?
    I really don't think I can handle anything larger....hauling a trailer is a first for me. I can't wait...and scared to tears.

8. Bree_6293

Bree_6293 Briawell6293

Aug 3, 2014
    Australia
    Pulling a trailer is very easy :) don't stress about it! Just remember take corners wider and never feel pressured by other cars to go faster :) it's reversing that gets a lot of people! I have grown up towing and reversing trailers, horse floats and goose necks but I still won't drive faster than 80km with livestock on board! They are more important to me..