The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in a few weeks I have to take my 5 month old doe for her CD&T booster at my vet and I'm wondering if I should take her with her mom..

These two are the only two I have, although I do have 5 horses that they stay out with so they don't get lonely. The doe has been acting more independent since I got her 3 months ago, and she does now out of site from her mom and her mom just continues to be with the horses and ignores her but I don't know what I should do. I'd rather not take more than I have to, but I want to make the smartest decision

·
14,615 Posts
I agree! And while you're there ask vet to show you how to do it.;) They are usually more than happy to teach someone how to give an injection.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I try taking the kid out on a lead at all and walking her out of their paddock for a little bit at a time to get her used to not seeing her mom?

·
14,615 Posts
Nah just do it when you take her in. They'll both be upset for awhile but when reunited will be fine. They'll be ok for that short period of time.

·
8,246 Posts
Take a bucket for the berries that are sure to happen in the waiting room! (An absorbent cloth, too!):D

·
14,774 Posts
I'd think they should be fine if it's just a short trip for a cd/t shot.

I agree with Nancy, have the vet show you how to give the shot because it's super easy to do yourself and would save $$ and time :)
A friend showed me and if my husband isn't doing it, then I do it.
One thing I learned when we got goats, you have to learn and be willing to give shots, because it can sometimes be life or death.
I absolutely do not like needles, but I'm very comfortable now giving goats shots :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd think they should be fine if it's just a short trip for a cd/t shot.

I agree with Nancy, have the vet show you how to give the shot because it's super easy to do yourself and would save $$ and time :)
A friend showed me and if my husband isn't doing it, then I do it.
One thing I learned when we got goats, you have to learn and be willing to give shots, because it can sometimes be life or death.
I absolutely do not like needles, but I'm very comfortable now giving goats shots :)
I actually have five horses who's shots I mostly give on my own so I'm very comfortable with needles :) And, my vet taught me how and where to give goats shots when she came out and have my girls their CD&T. I do need to learn though what other shots I may need to give them in the future. And what to have on hand for emergencies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts