Trama

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by alpine_fan, Feb 18, 2013.

1. alpine_fan

alpine_fan herd: 2 billies 9 nannies ~ 1 doe expecting ~ 2 we

Can trauma to a goat cause her to go into labor?
    I have doe that suffered an injury from a dog (her back leg)
    Her pooch is suddenly very puffy and pink with a strange goop sitting in it...kinda white/yellow

I couldn't get a better picture - she doesn't trust me to touch her back end at all

(I am not having any luck with dogs & goats right now & I'm waiting for the vet to get back to me)

Attached Files:

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    It could I suppose. This looks like it needs to be seen to by someone with a lot more knowledge than an online forum.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It can, but it looks more like your doe was injured to me. Maybe the dog grabbed there and tore something. Put some gloves on and look around the area for any tears or puncture wounds.

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    There could be an infection. When did the dog injury happen?

5. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Poor thing! I wish I could help....you are having a run of it aren't you? Same dog?

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Was her vulva damaged in the attack? Something doesn't look quite right. Maybe it's the angle of the pic...

But, to answer your question, yes, trauma and extreme stress can cause a doe to go into labor/abort her pregnancy.

7. Gertie

Gertie Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Ditto crocee. I don't mean to be mean or anything but it seems to me either the goats or the dog (s) have to go to prevent more pain and trama on everybody.

8. alpine_fan

No the attack was just her inside thigh right side (looking from behind)
    Sadly it was a different dog - she's chewing her cud and has had a pen shot...
    She was bitten this morning & her vulva looks like its pointing more to one side than the other
    (Still waiting in vet call - the office was trying to get a hold of him)

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Well her vulva does not look normal. I still think it's an injury and not from aborting, but no way to be sure without going and seeing her in person. Best thing you can do at this point is wait for the vet to call you back and take a look at her.

What's the deal with the dog attacks? Maybe I missed your other thread? You had two different dogs attack your goats? I hope the goats are in a more secure pen now where dogs can't get to them.

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like there may be more damage from the dog than originally thought. Her vulva is looking like it is swollen from trauma.

11. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Oh wow ,I'm sorry !
    Better have a vet take a look IMO.
    If she can't relieve herself there will be huge problems
    And as you know dog bites are loaded with bacteria.
    Good luck and I hope all goes well with your does.

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    When the dog bit her leg he may have got her back end first..it does not look like a normal "coming in labor" look..I would wash with sterile warm water and get a good look...have some one hold her to do this..you need a good look at it...penicillin is a good idea..Time ot re evaluate your fencing...there should be no way a dog can get with your goats...or get a donkey to kick the snot out of it if it does get in..

13. IrishRoots

IrishRoots Irish Roots Acres NDG's

Jan 7, 2013
    Columbia, TN
    Wow, poor baby.

I agree about having the vet out and also possibly some stronger fencing?

Good luck

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I really think the Dog, did attack her in the privates. look her over for puncture or slash wounds. You will have to watch for infection, clean her up as good as possible, antibiotics should be started and any puncture wounds need to be flushed. A dog bites quick and you may not of seen that bite, all you have to do is turn your head for a moment. Yes, I recommend a vet look at her. :(

15. alpine_fan

She swelled up worse today & vet (again) said first aid treatment & banamine/anti-inflammatory med
    I found a puncture on her vulva on the very edge of it - it's actually very clean and so is her leg wound...
    So aside from not walking much she is content with life at the moment and I haven't heard her grind her teeth in pain
    Let alone do anything else that is out of the ordinary for her...

16. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Sorry you are having such a rough time! Glad to hear it is a simple fix for this one and that she seems no worse for wear :hug: What a stressful week for you!