Transitioning needy goat kid - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lou, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Lou

Lou New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    I rescued a 9 day old goat kid (I was told he was a 2 week old orphan, I didn’t find out his correct age until I was leaving with him) who was intended for slaughter. After having his horns burned shortly after birth by the farmer he contracted tetanus. He is now 11 weeks old and fully recovered but constantly cries if he can’t see me. I have tried to transition him outside for short periods at a time during the day but it isn’t working. I live on 1/4 acre with a dog and getting another goat unfortunately isn’t an option. is there anything I can do to help this process without annoying my neighbours? I love my little man so much but I would like him to be a little more independent
    TIA

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Goats aren't independent. They are herd animals and need at least one other goat.

HMNS, Michaela Van Mecl, Lou and 3 others like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    First ..kudos for rescuing him and getting him through tetnus. I agree with ksalvagno..he needs another goat friend. If its impossible to have two then consider finding him a forever home with some one who raises goats and can offer him a safe place. Maybe close enough you can visit him.

Iluvlilly!, Lou, SalteyLove and 2 others like this.
  4. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Please either get another goat, or find a better home for him. A 1/4 acre is not to small for a pair for goats, though i do understand if you live in a subdivision they aren't what most would consider an ideal pet either. But he does need a constant companion and being a bottle baby he may always be a little more needy, but your his mom, your his herd and he is always going to want to stay close to his herd.

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Iluvlilly!, Lou and toth boer goats like this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

What an inspiration! You do need to get a second goat. Take it from me, a bottle baby thinks it is part of your herd. Post us some pictures

Iluvlilly!, Lou, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome.

Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  8. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I hate to agree here but another goat his age and size is your and his best bet. He needs a goatie partner or a new home with goats. They just aren't meant to be single goats. Would love to see your baby!

Iluvlilly!, Lou, MadHouse and 2 others like this.
  9. Lou

Lou New Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Australia
    Thank you everyone for your feed back! my mum owns the house I am currently living in and she won’t allow me to get another goat at this stage. I have been looking for other living arrangements where I can house two goats. I want to do what is best for him but It is going to break my heart (and his) if I have to give him up! I have attached a photo of my little man! :)

Attached Files:

MadHouse, ksalvagno and Kass like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Your little man has such an adorable face. I can see why you are so attached. I really wish you luck with your dilema.
    Tell your mom there are benefits to getting a little friend. No more weeding, and if it is a little girl she can produce fresh milk eventually which has so many health benefits.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He is cute!

MadHouse and Lou like this.
  13. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    What a SWEET little boy he is!! :)

MadHouse likes this.
  14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

A miniature lamb breed would also be an option. (But mom, it's not a goat lol).
    My little half blind girl is very attached to her lamb sister. The goats play too rough for her.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.