The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a 9 day old goat kid (I was told he was a 2 week old orphan, I didn’t find out his correct age until I was leaving with him) who was intended for slaughter. After having his horns burned shortly after birth by the farmer he contracted tetanus. He is now 11 weeks old and fully recovered but constantly cries if he can’t see me. I have tried to transition him outside for short periods at a time during the day but it isn’t working. I live on 1/4 acre with a dog and getting another goat unfortunately isn’t an option. is there anything I can do to help this process without annoying my neighbours? I love my little man so much but I would like him to be a little more independent
TIA

·
Registered
31,049 Posts
First ..kudos for rescuing him and getting him through tetnus. I agree with ksalvagno..he needs another goat friend. If its impossible to have two then consider finding him a forever home with some one who raises goats and can offer him a safe place. Maybe close enough you can visit him.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Please either get another goat, or find a better home for him. A 1/4 acre is not to small for a pair for goats, though i do understand if you live in a subdivision they aren't what most would consider an ideal pet either. But he does need a constant companion and being a bottle baby he may always be a little more needy, but your his mom, your his herd and he is always going to want to stay close to his herd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your feed back! my mum owns the house I am currently living in and she won’t allow me to get another goat at this stage. I have been looking for other living arrangements where I can house two goats. I want to do what is best for him but It is going to break my heart (and his) if I have to give him up! I have attached a photo of my little man! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Your little man has such an adorable face. I can see why you are so attached. I really wish you luck with your dilema.
Tell your mom there are benefits to getting a little friend. No more weeding, and if it is a little girl she can produce fresh milk eventually which has so many health benefits.

·
I'm watching you
22,374 Posts
A miniature lamb breed would also be an option. (But mom, it's not a goat lol).
My little half blind girl is very attached to her lamb sister. The goats play too rough for her.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts