Transport help

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thanatos, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    As yall know we are movin to Pa from Az. My questions about transporting the goats that far are......

can I do the drive straight or must I stop to walk the goats? If I must stop how often?
    Should I offer food free choice during the trip?Water is a gimme.
    What kind and how much supplement type shots or such should I give and how long before or during the trip?

If I missed anything lemme know. I will have a copilot so we CAN make the drive in less than 48hrs.

Oh and there will be bills of health done on the goats.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It really depends on how your weather is, hot means they will be needing more water. When we made the move we checked on goats every two hours. Having bottle babies came in really handy here. As we were able to fill their bottles with water to keep them hydrated. We were usually able to find a rest stop witha water spicket in the dog area, we had buckets where we could easily reach them as well as bottles. Keeoing them hydrated is the biggest thing. Sometimes you will run into shipping fever afterwords. Its caused by stress and usually is noticed with coughing. Usually some LA 200 will clear it up. Before we left i gave all of my goats nutridrench and probios. They were all up to date on CDT shots. We kept a large container of probios in powder fom as well as electrolites handy for the trip too just in case. Hope this helps!
    beth

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    My biggest conscern is tryin to walk them around. If I don't have to get them out of the trailer every couple of hours then I can get the trip done MUCH faster. I am guessin that at night we dont have to check as often since they should be sleepin. I plant to be out of Az by 6 or 7 am and into NM. I intend to skip Tx all together so after Tx the weather, comparitively, should be quite nice. We are moving mid july. Plus I have to stop by Bob and get a couple o boys :greengrin: .

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how many goats do you have? how much room will they have to move about? they should be fine with a once a day walk about.

Provide free choice hay and like you said water. If you cant provide water as you travel then you will need to stop to offer them water.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    4 goats 1 nubian, 1 4month old nubian, and 2 ND they will have half of a 2 horse trailer(dogs get the other) and I will figure out a free choice water thing.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    where are you moving to in AZ?

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I am leavin Az to go to Pa. And I am goin at the worst possible time heat wise in Az, but there is no choise. So the best I can do for that is start VERY early am and get out of Az befor it gets hot. I am in tucson so I can get to NM by like 630 with a 4am start.

8. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    A note about the water..

If you do not choose to free choice the water, be sure to bring your own somehow, different water sources often have different tastes, and they may not want to drink the water. I would think the trip would go by much smoother if they kept hydrated.

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    If you find the animals are getting overheated get several bags of ice and put them in the trailer...the animals will be able to lay next to them and that will help. Be very careful about getting them out of the trailer, make sure there is no way they can escape...better to leave them in there then to have to try to catch them at a rest stop. Good luck! (I hope you've researched this move...do you know they tax the crap out of us here?)

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Amos has a good point!

Di - you think YOUR taxes are high? Dont even THINK about coming to NJ then!!!!!

11. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    You property taxes are higher, but the house is WAY bigger and has actual land. as far as income tax goes I will have to pay whatever it is cause there is no choice about the move.

Also I dont intend to get them out if I don't have to. I will bring about 20gal of our water in a tank and top off the free choice waters at the rest stops. The ice however was genus I didn't even think of that. It would be good for the dogs to. The chickens...... well they are goin into 2 large dog crates and put on the rack in the trailer 5 birds per crate.

12. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    A way to help with the water change is to start adding ACV now. It will help mask differences in the water as you move along, but they need to be used to it before you leave.