Transporting a Boer

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ivy eaters, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    We have an adult Boer that we are going to need to bring home from Tufts Vet Hospital in a couple of days and I am looking for suggestions on safe methods of transportation. We brought her up in the back of an suv but she was quite sick so keeping her contained was not much of a concern. My husband bought an extra extra large dog crate and plans on putting her in that for the two hour drive home. Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about it?

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We transport our goats in dog crates. (granted we have small goats but we also transport our Mastiff's in huge crates and it works fine)

3. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks, I'm thinking it should be ok because it will be similar to the dog house she sleeps in a lot of the time but I just want to make sure that when it's time to pick her up things will go smoothly. Well, I know there are no guarantees but.....

Little goats and big dogs huh? I guess with all the coyotes around you need the big dogs to look after the little goats. Coyotes are one of the reasons we went with boers but the little ones are so cute aren't they?!

4. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    we haven't had any issues with coyotes but we have had bear issues

5. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    We haven't seen any bears although our neighbors have seen them on our property. Seems like the bears keep to themselves a little more than the coyotes. We even had coyote tracks on our patio last winter! Don't like that one bit.

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    yikes. we have a bear who thinks out yard is his playground- not nice with animals and small children!

7. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Not nice at all. Nature is great, until it gets alittle too close!

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Big dog crates are fine...just make sure.. it is large enough for her ...to get up and be able to put her head in a natural position and be able to turn around.... put some stuff on the bottom for absorbency and a layer of straw on top of that so she is comfortable laying down..... have food and water for her...in case .... give her something to prevent shipping sickness if she got ill from moving in the past... Good luck.. in her travels.. How old is this doe and is she preggo? :wink:

9. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks Pam, I'll try it out for size with on one of the others before hand.

She's not preg, something threw her rumen off and she ended up with thiamine deficiency. Not a good situation!

She hasn't really treaveled in the past but I'll talk to the vet at Tufts about the possibility of that being a problem.

Btw, I took a look at your web site, your goats are beautiful!

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your very welcome.... :wink: Hope she travels well for you ....
    thank you for the nice compliment on my goats...it is appreciated.... :greengrin: :hug:

11. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Unfortunately they want to keep her over the weekend. :( Progress is a bit slower than we were hoping for but at least she is going in the right direction.

12. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Got a call from Tufts this morning. She started eating better over night and they think she'll be ready to go home tomorrow evening. :wahoo:

13. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    We're picking her up today!! :dance:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    nice! pictures ;)

hope everything goes well.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is terrific news....congrats..... :leap: :clap: :cool: :) :hug:

16. ivy eaters

ivy eaters New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Thanks, the drive home went smoothly. She slept most of the way and when we got here we had to take the top of the dog crate off to get her out because she was so comfy she wasn't in any hurry at all.

She's settling down for the night now and the best thing is SHE's EATING!!!!

She'll be getting daily thiamine injections for the next week and hopefully she'll be good on her own after that. We've stocked up on probios so we've got that to fall back on if needed.

Some woman would expect expensive jewlery for valentines day (that was when we brought her up there), I was just happy to have my husband say he'd foot the vet bill for her.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well I agree....saving her life.. is a great valentines day gift ever.... :hug:

So happy she is eating and improving.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :cool: :cool: :thumbup: :dance: :stars: :wahoo: