Transporting is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noisy Bottle Babies, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Hi everyone I’ve had my eye on two yearlings down in Indiana for a while and have already put deposit down for them but wondering its basically a 7 hour trip one way, we’ve had quotes done on it someone was willing to do it for 400 for both girls but it would save us a trip, thoughts on transporting?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Dayton, OH
    Make sure you look into everything you need to have for them. Usually health certificates within 48 hours of them leaving which I'd imagine the new owners would make you pay for.

It really depends on what you're buying for if its worth it. Its a big investment for transporting a goat on top of the cost to purchase. Just make sure its really worth it.

Also I'd make sure you have a safe way to quarantine when they get home. Not only will you not have seen them but also the shippers generally have more than one animal together and you have no idea what they're going to interact with.

3. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Personally, if you CAN make the drive, do it yourself. We’ve driven 12 hours (one way) to pickup animals. This gives you the option to either reject the sale if the animals are in bad shape, OR point out possible issues without having the transport being blamed. It’s great to be able to meet the breeder in person and see the parent stock in person as well! When you pickup yourself you don’t have the bio security risk of the goats picking up something nasty while on the trailer.

As a seller, I do NOT like having to send a kid on transport when the drive isn’t too far (a seven hour trip can be done in a day, either drive through or stay at a hotel overnight, pickup the goats in the morning and head home.) Would I still consider it if it was the right home? Yes, but I’d have to REALLY like the home and it would have to be a performance herd.

4. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Thank you for your inputs yeah I mean we’ve driven 6 hours for a goat before one way just didn’t know if we can do it with these girls they weigh 120 each that’s gonna be one heafty load in the back of the SUV lol

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ive had 4 goats transported. 1 from N carolina..the other from Colo. The cost of the transport were 1/2 of what it would cost me. The company I use is family oriented , clean, and keep the animals is seperate stalls on the transport. The CVI you have to purchase anytime you cross a state line. So whether you drive or not..you need to have that done. Some of the fines are really steep if you happen to get stopped. I think my transporters were great! Infact they will be bringing my next girls in about 3 months. (dance)

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you have an SUV, can you borrow someones horse trailer or small livestock trailer? Lots of straw and cover the openings (so not too windy), would be ideal. Most Suv's can pull a horse or livestock trailer. (especially if they are aluminum!). Just practice some first to get used to the weight and maneuverability.

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also may sure your state, besides the CVI, does or doesn't require testing for brucellious and tuberculosis testing. If so, plan a few weeks out, testing takes a while. There is also usually a fee for the CVI and testing, so add that into cost. For 7 hours, I would pick up myself. You get to see them, talk to the breeder and make sure all is in order. Some transporters, unless you have really good recommendations are NOT trustworthy.

8. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Ok thanks everyone! Getting the CVI we already had that in motion this week! clean herd tested we are renting a truck as our SUV broke down today so that’s in the repair shop (headsmash) but good thing is it’s an easy fix she’ll just have to take it easy now can’t have her breaking down on us during kidding season.