transporting

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    hey everyone -

its been ages since i've been on - hope everyone is having a good summer and this site just gets better and better!

i was wondering how people transport goats in a trailer? should we just leave them all loose inside, provide seperate stalls or restrain them in any way? the trailor will be enclosed.

thanks!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I just let the wander around...if you need to i'd separate bucks and does.

3. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Give them enough space to turn around, but not so much that they will go flying if you have an accident

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hi there...ArcticGoats....it has been a while ....glad to have you back... :greengrin:

I agree with Katrina....(Alaskaboers) ... they should be loose and be able to stand and be able to comfortably lay down without piling on each other.....be very careful with any babies....as they may be crushed.. so I advise ...to put them... in another area away from all the adults....I would maybe put momma in there... if there is enough room... so she won't lay on them......and don't get trampled.......The bucks should be separate from the does... so no accidental breeding's can occur..... :wink:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    So ArcticGoats..hows the weather in Fairbanks?

6. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thanks everyone - we just want to take them around for some brush clearing and you know, over to greener pastures and such. I wish I'd get an accidental breeding!! But we just have 4 wethers!

We're having a great summer (so far) - today is hot, sunny and 82 (thats above zero!!! ) :sun: :sun: :sun:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    ugg thats too hot...only 63F here...haha!

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL ....hey I'll trade you....we have been getting 110 degree days....but... we are now ...on a cooling trend of 98.....degrees... :doh: :help:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    nope..cant trade. :greengrin: lol

too hot!! *melts* :wink:

10. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    No way I would trade the wonderful HEAT of Texas for Alaska. I would like to visit, but don't think I could reside there.
    Anyhow, You may seperate them with partitions in the trailer. Make sure they have plenty of fresh air and we usually lay down a good layer of wood chips or shavings to absorb the mess they will make and provide some bedding if they want to lay down. Again let me say that you need to provide plenty of air, especially in the warm weather. And give them some water when you make a stop. They get thirsty in a windy trailer.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yep.............very miserable..... :sigh:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    If your trailer has mats that will help secure footing so they dont go sliding around.
    We like to put shavings down cause straw is on the slippery side.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great point ....nancy d :wink: :greengrin: :thumbup:

14. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    We have found that chips don't blow around as much and are easier to clean up after a trip. Plus the fertilizer is added in for extra value when you use them to garden!

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Fred you better not be talkin bout my Jalapino chips.

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Skylighter the Boer billy quaffs beer like a drunken sailor. He will push his way into the golf cart and knock my beer out of the drink holder to get to it. I haven't asked him what his choice in snack food is!

I meant wood chips silly!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha! lol....thats funny

last year at the fair, I was standing in front of the goat pen, scratching karlee (nubian boer) on the top of her head...and some kids came up to see the goats and they had a Monster energy drink..and Karlee quickly saw it and ran ovr to them...let them pet her...and stole it from them..she downed half of it and the 16 or 17 year old was freaking out...I just smiled. haha

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL ....that would of been funny to watch.... :ROFL:

20. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    The trailor has a wooden floor - I used rubbery shelf liner in dog kennels for a non slip surface - but now I've got my eye on some mats that are at fred meyers for anti fatique or something - waiting for them to go on sale tho as they are a bit too $$$.

Anyway - good points about traction and ventilation!