Traumatic birth

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Fainters, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    Last Tuesday my doe kidded during the night 4 days earlier than I anticipated. When I found her that morning 1 was stillborn and 1 was lying flat and barely breathing. I immediately took her in the house and warmed her with a hair dryer. She was too weak to stand and in very bad shape. I started feeding her colostrum that I milked out of her mother every 15 minutes because she could only take a few cc's at a time. I felt sure that the mom still had a baby in her because she was still lying down and contracting. I waited awhile to see if it was just afterbirth since this is her 1st kidding. Finally when I was sure that she had another baby in her, I had a friend come and help me pull it out. The baby was all wadded up in a ball and by the time we got her out, she was already dead. I kept feeding the weak baby and actually have not expected her to live. She couldn't stand up until she was 4 days old. She is now starting to play but I still have to hold her up to nurse on her mother every 3 hours. I have been bringing her with me to work so she can get fed during the day. She has a little raspy breathing like she has a cold and I am afraid that it might turn into Pneumonia so she stays in the house except for feeding. What do you think I should give her for her cold at this point?

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh wow thats so sad. :hug:

As to the little girl - if her chest isn't rattling then I would just give her some nutri drench and keep doing what you are doing.

If you don't have nutri drench, children's liquid vitamines works well too

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She is soooo cute! She's a fainter right? If you have some vet rx you can try some of that. Good luck with her! I am so sorry for your loss with the other babies. :tears:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am sorry to hear that mom lost 2, I hope she is recovering. The little doe sounds to be stronger, I hope she continues to do so. She is really sweet looking.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, what a ordeal. I have learned, If I even think at all there is another baby inside, I waste no time at all and go in.
    How much is that little girl getting when you feed her? Maybe it needs a little food, to get her going. How often is she nursing?
    I would for sure get NutraDrench if you do not have any. That is really what she needs for the energy. It has all the nutrients that she needs to help her along.
    Oh, good luck. I hope she pulls out of this for you, she is a doll.

6. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I have been taking her to the barn and letting her nurse her mom every 3 hours during the day. I hold her up to nurse until her belly feels like it is about to burst and she is no longer looking for the nipple. When I feed her during the day at work, I give her about 2 1/2 ounces. We had a problem with her bowels not moving for 48 hours which scared me. She now fills her box during the night and I notice that she poops and pees each time I put her with her mom. I am a little worried about the color of her poop. It is yellow but it seems to have dark brown clumps in it. Could this just be the old impacted poop still coming out or do you think she has some other problem?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She will have poop looking that way for at least a week. It's just the milk mixing with the leftover meconium in her bowels. She sounds like she will do very well for you. Does mom pay ANY attention to her at all or do you have tofight with her?

8. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    That is a relief because I was afraid something else was wrong with her. Her mom LOVES her to death. She licks her so vigorously that I have to hold her upright so she can nurse. She is also very good about letting me milk her so that I can pack the baby's lunch for the day. :) I hope that she is strong enough and it is warm enough to let her start staying in the barn during the day later this week.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I am so sorry for your loss but so happy that you were able to save the little doeling! She is adorable!!!

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your losses :hug: At least the little doe is ok, she's pretty :)

If you have any fastrack that should help with her cold. Why don't you just keep her in the barn if she is strong enough?

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'm so sorry that you lost the other two babies but the baby who made it is beautiful! I'm so glad it wants to live and is fighting for you! :hug: